Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wine's VKD3D Lands An Initial Vulkan Pipeline Cache

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wine's VKD3D Lands An Initial Vulkan Pipeline Cache

    Phoronix: Wine's VKD3D Lands An Initial Vulkan Pipeline Cache

    The Wine project's Direct3D 12 to Vulkan API translation layer has implemented a basic Vulkan pipeline cache that may help with performance...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...Pipeline-Cache

  • #2
    Not 100% sure, but looking at the commit earlier today, I think the cache is per-run making sure that when the state is used more than once it doesn't recompile the pipeline.

    Comment


    • #3
      Is this like DXVK? Because DXVK works great, and we should concentrate on that, not some "other" duplicate effort.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
        Is this like DXVK? Because DXVK works great, and we should concentrate on that, not some "other" duplicate effort.
        DXVK is for D3D11 and D3D10 while VKD3D is for D3D12.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
          Is this like DXVK? Because DXVK works great, and we should concentrate on that, not some "other" duplicate effort.
          There's no duplicate effort.
          DXVK is for D3D11/10
          VKD3D is for D3D12
          VK9 is for D3D9

          The main "missing" piece to have them all working nicely together is a common dxgi.dll that's able to interface all of them (and possibly wined3d too).

          Comment


          • #6
            Isn't this already implemented at the driver level ?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by xxmitsu View Post
              Isn't this already implemented at the driver level ?
              DirectX is at OS level, and Windows 7 and 8 don't have DX 12. Also Linux does not have anything resembling a DX in either drivers or OS.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                DirectX is at OS level, and Windows 7 and 8 don't have DX 12. Also Linux does not have anything resembling a DX in either drivers or OS.
                No, I mean.. vkd3d is d3d12 over Vulkan, but at the driver level (vulkan driver) already has this, right ? https://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/me...7e9da8d65407d4

                Comment


                • #9
                  Perhaps would be good idea to prepare something like MoltenVK but for Microsoft proprietary systems. In theory Windows 10 is still open (in some sort), but probably it is matter of time when it will be locked for good. First try (Win8/RT) and second try (Win10S) already done. Probably Windows 10 ARM will be locked and then DirectX will be the only option.

                  DirectX is already the only option to code for XboX, so have translation layer Vulkan -> DirectX12 perhaps would encourage more developers to use Vulkan... At this point there is only one big developer that is using Vulkan in AAA titles - id Software, but even they not always use open standards - Rage2 will be DirectX title (in fact it will be Avalanche Studios game)...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Danniello View Post
                    Perhaps would be good idea to prepare something like MoltenVK but for Microsoft proprietary systems. In theory Windows 10 is still open (in some sort), but probably it is matter of time when it will be locked for good. First try (Win8/RT) and second try (Win10S) already done. Probably Windows 10 ARM will be locked and then DirectX will be the only option.

                    DirectX is already the only option to code for XboX, so have translation layer Vulkan -> DirectX12 perhaps would encourage more developers to use Vulkan... At this point there is only one big developer that is using Vulkan in AAA titles - id Software, but even they not always use open standards - Rage2 will be DirectX title (in fact it will be Avalanche Studios game)...
                    I doubt Microsoft would allow Vulkan > DX12 on the Xbox, but you can do it the other way around on Windows.

                    VKD3D, DXVK and VK9 work on Windows, they compile to a .dll and you then dump the DLL in the game's folder.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X