DOSBox 0.74-2 Released With Better Wine Compatibility, Linux OpenGL Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DOSBox 0.74-2 Released With Better Wine Compatibility, Linux OpenGL Fixes

Phoronix: DOSBox 0.74-2 Released With Better Wine Compatibility, Linux OpenGL Fixes

DOSBox, the DOS emulator used by Wine and also can be run directly on Linux / macOS / Windows / BSD systems, released version 0.74-2 at the end of August with some Wine compatibility improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's been a long time since previous DOSBox update, so I'd say it's about time. Thanks!

Comment

Haven't used it for years. Back when I did, the Daum of Dosbox was like wine-staging plus patches compared to wine: http://ykhwong.x-y.net

Comment

while DOSBox 0.75 will be coming soon
        Is this soon or soon™? DOSBox developers seem to be operating on Valve time.

Originally posted by Beherit View Post
        Haven't used it for years. Back when I did, the Daum of Dosbox was like wine-staging plus patches compared to wine: http://ykhwong.x-y.net
        Daum is considered obsolete and the last release is broken in certain ways. Windows users who just want up-to-date vanilla SVN builds tend to recommend EmuCR and DOSBox-X is a popular staging-esque one that is well-recommended. I think there was another that isn't on the DOSBoxWiki's "Enhanced SVN Builds" list, but I forget what it was called.

According to Reddit, if you want Daum, get the version from January 27th, 2014.
        Last edited by ssokolow; 09 September 2018, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Any respectable individual has a variation of the following:

$ ls ~/Games/dos
          aquanoid dangerous_dave doom gta keen simcity2000 warcraft2 wolf3d

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
            Any respectable individual has a variation of the following:

$ ls ~/Games/dos
            aquanoid dangerous_dave doom gta keen simcity2000 warcraft2 wolf3d
            ...or, if you're obsessive like me, something like this: https://imgur.com/gallery/O3F8l

The funny thing is, I don't actually game that much anymore. When I'm not spending most of my leisure time reading or programming, what little time is left tends to get spent on the fun of preparing an authentic, legal setup.

(Which, I suppose, makes sense, given that two of my recent acquisitions were sealed copies of Delphi 2 and InstallShield Express 2 so I'm licensed to redistribute anything I create with them... though I'll probably still use Free Pascal and early InnoSetup versions so I can open-source my stuff without inducing others to pirate the dev tools in order to contribute. The main reason for getting Delphi 2 was for the bundled copy of Delphi 1 so that, some day, I can try adding more retro-authentic theming options to 16-bit InnoSetup.)
            Last edited by ssokolow; 09 September 2018, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

...or, if you're obsessive like me, something like this: https://imgur.com/gallery/O3F8l

The funny thing is, I don't actually game that much anymore. When I'm not spending most of my leisure time reading or programming, what little time is left tends to get spent on the fun of preparing an authentic, legal setup.

(Which, I suppose, makes sense, given that two of my recent acquisitions were sealed copies of Delphi 2 and InstallShield Express 2 so I'm licensed to redistribute anything I create with them... though I'll probably still use Free Pascal and early InnoSetup versions so I can open-source my stuff without inducing others to pirate the dev tools in order to contribute. The main reason for getting Delphi 2 was for the bundled copy of Delphi 1 so that, some day, I can try adding more retro-authentic theming options to 16-bit InnoSetup.)
              Now we're talking! That's an appreciable level of respectable. Still leveling up personally. I love emulators for the convenience and the vast breadth of games it can cover, but the real thing is always the best.

About what you were saying on not gaming as much (right now) & instead reading/programming/etc taking up most of your time, I think that's totally fine and once we feel "forced" to play our collection of games, new and old, it takes the fun out of it. I'll go weeks sometimes without firing up any games, and then other times I'm putting in hours upon hours. All depends on the mood and what's intriguing me at the moment. Eventually we cycle through our hobbies and prioritize with what we're feeling. I do the same with Netflix shows and binge watching. If course with TV, you're just consuming. With gaming, it's interactive and bi-directional.

Besides, it takes time to get the retro-gaming setups "just right". I don't consider it wasted time getting it all set up then taking a break. Knowing that it's always at my disposal when I get an itch for a 90s game or an old classic is a nice feeling.

PS: thanks for updated info on dosbox-daum. The one you mentioned is working nicely for me. Quick link for those interested on the Jan 27 2014 build: http://ykhwong.x-y.net/downloads/dos...40127_32bit.7z

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

FYI, Lazarus and Freepascal have some support for win16, and of course still support win32 well on win9x though you may have to build from source as stock installer doesn't work on win9x or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post

FYI, Lazarus and Freepascal have some support for win16, and of course still support win32 well on win9x though you may have to build from source as stock installer doesn't work on win9x or something like that.

Actually, they dropped support for Win9x because the Win32-but-no-Unicode code paths were bit-rotting for lack of a maintainer. To build for Win9x or Win32s, you need to download Lazarus 1.6 and FPC 2.6.4. (Source: here and another page I forget the URL for)

As far as Win16 support goes, I'm definitely keeping an eye on it. It'd be really nice to be able to write 100% open-source stuff for Win16 without having to resort to compile-time safety checks as primitive as you get from OpenWatcom C/C++.

Here are a couple of blog posts I maintain on the topic:
                  Last edited by ssokolow; 09 September 2018, 04:22 PM.

Comment

"DOSBox, the DOS emulator used by Wine and also can be run directly on Linux" sounds like DOSBox is just a part of WINE that also runs in some kind of stand-alone mode. The "truth" is that DOSBox is a completely separate DOS game emulator. And by "game emulator" I really mean "game emulator": See https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=27920

Comment

Working...
                    X