Unofficial Vulkan Transform Feedback Is Being Worked On for DXVK / VKD3D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by juno View Post
    Don't you think it's a bit naive to think Microsoft is working against its partners in this regard?
    history of microsoft is trail of dead partners

Comment

It makes perfect sense that this wouldnt be an official extension, especially if it doesn't promote proper use of Vulkan. I'm fine with this approach.

A lot of titles are broke in small ways due to this missing feature. GTA5, Witcher3 and pretty much all Unity based games have issues. It will be nice to see this ticked off the box and move us closer to parity with native windows gaming.

Comment

About god damn time. Screw Khronos and their stupid agenda, I didn't realize they didn't add it on purpose, I thought they were just too busy thinking how to do it. But now that I know they reject it due to design idiocy reasons, just fuck them.

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
        Well, the way I understand it, it really shouldn't. There are better ways to achieve the same, but this is aimed as a stopgap measure for direct compatibility.
        And who the fuck cares? Fuck this "design purity" bullshit. I'm sick of it honestly.

People want it now for wrappers. It is practical, and that's all that matters. Just add it already.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
          good. They can keep their core API clean, leand and mean.
          This is the kind of design purity garbage mentality that cripples open source or open APIs compared to monoliths (we all know who they are). It is almost always political in scope.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
            About god damn time. Screw Khronos and their stupid agenda, I didn't realize they didn't add it on purpose, I thought they were just too busy thinking how to do it. But now that I know they reject it due to design idiocy reasons, just fuck them.

And who the fuck cares? Fuck this "design purity" bullshit. I'm sick of it honestly.

People want it now for wrappers. It is practical, and that's all that matters. Just add it already.
            Uh? Calm down, please. And this is more complicated than that. OpenGL was crippled by all those extensions, one of the goals of Vulkan is indeed to retain some of that "design purity". This is being worked on as an extension, which will be available on a few select platforms, where it is necessary. Of course, this could be done in a hacky manner, but doing it this way is the proper way.

And seriously, how can you write this? How long have you been waiting for this? Six months at best? API design and software architecture takes time, especially when this needs a cross-vendor effort.

About the agenda, you obviously have your own as well. But you must realize that decisions like this must not be taken lightly. One common criticism of openGL was the number of ways one could perform the same thing. Here, the *right* way is encouraged, as you cannot rely on this workaround. I certainly hope people won't, at least. And you must consider the side effects of starting to follow other platform's API choices. This remains strategy.

Comment

Even when I did not know about or use linux I thought Direct3D was absolute garbage. I always hated games that used it and thought it was the reason they where so buggy. Fuck DirectX too, I may not be a programmer but I know it's shit.
              Last edited by creative; 09 September 2018, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Uh? Calm down, please. And this is more complicated than that. OpenGL was crippled by all those extensions
                Replace "crippled" with "kept alive" and you'd have much more of a point.

And seriously, how can you write this? How long have you been waiting for this? Six months at best? API design and software architecture takes time, especially when this needs a cross-vendor effort.
                Yeah, this is exactly why OpenGL lost to D3D, glacial pace of improvements compared to Microsoft's shitty proprietary stuff. I hate to admit it, but D3D was technically superior for a long while and that's what crippled OpenGL. By the time it caught up, it was far too late already. Even John Carmack admitted it (and he was a fan of OpenGL).

You want the same shit to happen to Vulkan?

But wait, Apple and bunch of other fuckers are part of Khronos group. Sounds like intentional sabotage to me, I bet they're the ones who whine about new improvements saying they "need more time" to evaluate them and so on, to stall it as much as possible.

Comment

Working...
                X