Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Linux Usage Comes In At 0.59% For August

Phoronix: Steam Linux Usage Comes In At 0.59% For August

Valve's latest monthly Steam Survey results are in for August 2018...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo in the article
    Originally posted by phoronix
    Survey metrics can find thme
    Found another issue
    Originally posted by phoronix
    1080p is usedo n 50% of the systems
    Last edited by TheCanadianBacon; 03 September 2018, 07:28 AM. Reason: Found other issues

Comment

Considering SteamPlay came out of beta only on the 29th I seriously doubt that this had much to do with it...

More probably it was a combination of the continued effects of the semi-recent bug fix put in to stop web café and other machines that are running practically 24/7 from skewing figures and the waning popularity of PUBG. Both of these recently caused the share of total users with simplified Chinese as their indicated language to shoot up as high as 56% (in the latest survey it's declined down to 25%).

Comment

I wish it was possible to see count rather than percentage, and that we could exclude the Chinese users from the survey results viewer.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
          Considering SteamPlay came out of beta only on the 29th I seriously doubt that this had much to do with it...
          Also if lots of people switched to the beta client they may no longer be being counted. IIRC the beta client disables the survey.

Comment

On the Linux Beta client and received the survey notification yesterday which I did submit.

Comment

Received the survey pop-up on the Linux Beta client yesterday (which I did submit). Honestly this may be the first time I remember getting one on while on Linux.

Comment

That's not too bad. It implies roughly (very roughly) that 1 of every 200 Steam users are on GNU/Linux.

The peak number of steam users online today was 16 million ( https://store.steampowered.com/stats/ ). So the hardware survey implies ~80,000 players were gaming on GNU/Linux at today's peak hour.
                Last edited by cybertraveler; 03 September 2018, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                  I wish it was possible to see count rather than percentage, and that we could exclude the Chinese users from the survey results viewer.
                  i wish they wouldn't use the disputable survey (last time it popped up for me was 3 years ago when i last booted up windoze...) but instead use the actual usage that is also used for determining the sale-platform (most hours played in the first 2 weeks).
                  Personally, i'm fairly certain that those numbers would be largely different ^^

Comment

I'm sure once proton matures more and we see a few hundred white-list titles(by valve), then growth might be more obvious. Still too early for steam-play IMO.

Comment

Working...
                    X