No announcement yet.

Valve Offers Up Proton Beta For Testing Steam Play Enhancements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If someday Proton will able to run all Windows game flawlessly, then what makes game developer or Feral Interactive etc will continue to porting games natively to Linux.
    I know it's a big win for Linux gaming, since we can just run a lot more title in Linux. But in the long run I'm not sure it's a good idea since we depends on MS tech, and it could just broke the compatibility sometime.

Another thing is currently Valve etc do the hard work to make Windows game available on Linux, yes game developer now can see the Linux sales number, but it's free money to them, even though they're not contributing to Proton. If currently the sales is 70:30 game developer:Steam, it should be 50:50 or higher for Steam, so we the buyer know our money goes to Linux game ecosystem, and game porter like Feral still could get a good percentage from game developers if they're develop a native version. It's the only fair!

Comment

i hope it will use gallium nine where possible

Comment

Originally posted by jurgel View Post
        If someday Proton will able to run all Windows game flawlessly, then
        pigs will fly. and btw why are you opposed to linux running all games flawlessly?
        Another thing is currently Valve etc do the hard work to make Windows game available on Linux, yes game developer now can see the Linux sales number, but it's free money to them, even though they're not contributing to Proton
        they contributed game. valve found customer and took 30%. proton is part of steam. game developer didn't contribute to steam either.
        Feral still could get a good percentage from game developers if they're develop a native version. It's the only fair!
        you can't eat percentage. percentage means nothing. if valve will double linux userbase, it will double feral linux income without any increase to percentage
        Last edited by pal666; 27 August 2018, 01:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          I hope so as well, since the Wine devs seem to be anal about it.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
            To be honest, I don't really see much of a future for gallium nine if dxvk ends up supporting dx9+

Comment

I'm to be honest counting days for when Microsoft sues Valve after this goes to production. It would be appropriately evil to wait until Proton goes out of beta

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                I'm to be honest counting days for when Microsoft sues Valve after this goes to production. It would be appropriately evil to wait until Proton goes out of beta
                If that happened Microsoft would be slammed because they are supposed to embrace Linux now. Valve's Steam Proton is based on Wine so Microsoft would have to sue WineHQ/Codeweavers as well which I highly doubt they would do.

Comment

Isn't the important thing that more users use Linux and less use Windows? If we can move those numbers, then everything else will follow. That includes native ports.

Comment

Well, I been testing proton and I'm not really getting much better compatibility than wine. But I mean this is the first beta and patience is a virtue after all, but damn...

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                      Well, I been testing proton and I'm not really getting much better compatibility than wine. But I mean this is the first beta and patience is a virtue after all, but damn...
                      Code will probably be shared with WINE so they will be similar in terms of compatibility.

Skyrim Special Edition and Stronghold HD both work, which is ace.

Comment

Working...
                      X