Valve Offers Up Proton Beta For Testing Steam Play Enhancements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by atomsymbol

If the game runs fine on Proton then the probability of native Linux port is lower compared to the game not running fine on Proton.
    Its a even lower probability that a developer will just look at the 0.5% market share and decide to make a Linux port on their own. Steam Play at least gives devs another metric to measure Linux interest on.

Comment

Originally posted by djb190 View Post
      Here's hoping support for Denuvo and other DRM technologies becomes a reality with Proton. We should be able to play all our purchased Steam games on Linux.
      sure, but you shouldn't purchase games until they are playable on linux
      Last edited by pal666; 25 August 2018, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol
        If the game runs fine on Proton then the probability of native Linux port is lower compared to the game not running fine on Proton.
        if game runs fine, you don't need port anyway
        on the other hand, more finely running games = more linux users = larger userbase for developers to develop linux games

Comment

Some games have removed Denuvo since release.

For example doom demo has Denuvo while official full version does not.. derp

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
            Ya some developers view the Denuvo DRM as a method to delay the inevitable cracking... Because they want to prevent piracy in the first few weeks when sales are highest. Once it is cracked many patch it out...

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
              I tried the main release very briefly. It runs Minecraft Story Mode 2, which also works under upstream Wine but it didn't back in 3.7. I guess that's down to DXVK.

For any Gentoo users out there, I've been thinking (no doing yet, sorry!) about whether we might be able to package this. We offer a variety of Wine packages at the moment for vanilla, staging, d3d9, and any, the latter being a mix of the others. Proton is a heavy patchset against an older version we no longer carry. I may make it a USE flag against wine-any but I don't know whether that would be feasible. Otherwise it would have to be its own package.
              IMO, wine-staging and wine-d3d9 seem superfluous when wine-any[+staging +d3d9 +vkd3d +dxvk?] exists. I wouldn't mind losing one or both and seeing a wine-proton package versioned by Valve's git tags and working with eselect wine. Though really, a dxvk package and use flag like vkd3d would be great. I've briefly tried to get mingw working, but didn't get very far, though that might just be me. Just my .02.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                Some games have removed Denuvo since release.

I think it was the other way around ... which was one of the first laughable stories of denuvo being broken. The demo (unprotected) apparently was compatible with the full version (protected). So all that was needed to "crack" the protection was to simply replace the final exe with the demo exe. As a plus it gave insights into the differences between an unprotected and a protected game (which helps a lot in future reverse engineering efforts).

Comment

Originally posted by audir8 View Post
                  I've briefly tried to get mingw working, but didn't get very far, though that might just be me. Just my .02.
                  If your on arch you can just do aurman -S --noedit --solution_way --pgp_fetch mingw-w64-gcc with aurman installed, it does all the setup for you and gives a few tips at the start.

Comment

Originally posted by audir8 View Post

IMO, wine-staging and wine-d3d9 seem superfluous when wine-any[+staging +d3d9 +vkd3d +dxvk?] exists. I wouldn't mind losing one or both and seeing a wine-proton package versioned by Valve's git tags and working with eselect wine. Though really, a dxvk package and use flag like vkd3d would be great. I've briefly tried to get mingw working, but didn't get very far, though that might just be me. Just my .02.
                    I think the problem was that the patches weren't always available for every version in a timely manner so wine-any can sometimes lag behind. In any case, I'm not the Wine package maintainer and the guy who is is actually an upstream Wine developer. I'd obviously need to speak to him about it.

Comment

h
                      Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                      I hope these changes get pushed upstream to Wine so that we all benefit, even those who don't use Steam.
                      the wine devs are picking through them. Basically they are only keeping the bits that will run on a Intel iGPU on a Mac. So it's not good for most people as per usual for wine.

Comment

Working...
                      X