Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Offers Up Proton Beta For Testing Steam Play Enhancements

Phoronix: Valve Offers Up Proton Beta For Testing Steam Play Enhancements

Just in time for the weekend Linux gamers, Valve has made available a Proton beta update channel for testing out the latest enhancements for their fork of Wine that also bundles in DXVK for accelerated D3D11-over-Vulkan and other performance/compatibility enhancements to optimize the Linux gaming experience...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The first STALKER has a bench mode and is a current Proton game, `demo_play` console command, that you could use, but it's not scriptable.

Comment

Finally, I've been saying this for years. You want more linux ports, than make it easy to run Windows games on Linux. Developers will see their games played on Proton through Steam stats and may decide to make a native Linux port.

Comment

Here's a compatibility report by the community:

Comment

I'm curious about the internal compatibility list (ie, not the community spreadsheet, but the steam clients list) and how that gets updated. I'm guessing its included in the Proton version somehow, but I haven't read or seen anything about it.

Comment

How to enable DX11? Flight Sim World exits with "no DX11 device"
            Doom Demo doesn't work because of Denuovo DRM? How silly for a demo...

Comment

Here's hoping support for Denuvo and other DRM technologies becomes a reality with Proton. We should be able to play all our purchased Steam games on Linux.

Comment

I tried the main release very briefly. It runs Minecraft Story Mode 2, which also works under upstream Wine but it didn't back in 3.7. I guess that's down to DXVK.

For any Gentoo users out there, I've been thinking (no doing yet, sorry!) about whether we might be able to package this. We offer a variety of Wine packages at the moment for vanilla, staging, d3d9, and any, the latter being a mix of the others. Proton is a heavy patchset against an older version we no longer carry. I may make it a USE flag against wine-any but I don't know whether that would be feasible. Otherwise it would have to be its own package.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
                  Developers will see their games played on Proton through Steam stats and may decide to make a native Linux port.
                  Why go through the hassle (and costs) of making a port, if the windows version already runs fine with Proton?

Comment

Originally posted by mike44 View Post
                    how to enable dx11? Flight sim world exits with "no dx11 device"
                    doom demo doesn't work because of denuovo drm? How silly for a demo...
                    enotimplemented?

Comment

Working...
                    X