Feral Teasing New Linux/macOS Port; Feral Interactive Has A New Shareholder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feral Teasing New Linux/macOS Port; Feral Interactive Has A New Shareholder

Phoronix: Feral Teasing New Linux/macOS Port; Feral Interactive Has A New Shareholder

It's a busy week for Linux gaming with the Wine/Proton-based Steam Play from Valve, continued graphics driver improvements, and some activity in the Feral camp...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Steam Play needs a fair bit of work still.

As of now its based on the outdated non-Staging Wine 3.7 with esync & outdated DXVK 0.65 + their VR client sprinkles.

Valve needs to bring Steam Play closer to upstream versions, possibily embrace the Staging patchset, and allow wine configuration like Lutris does, with access to Winecfg, Winetricks, Wine registry, etc. as "advanced options" that can be enabled by the user. Many games that can work on Wine, including GTA 5, don't on Steam Play's Proton because of these reasons.

For now, I'll use Steam Play for "whitelisted" games but Lutris or PlayOnLinux for all else.

Glad to see Feral still wanting to release native ports, though. Optimized native ports will always be best.
    Last edited by Xaero_Vincent; 24 August 2018, 03:46 PM.

Comment

No, Proton is never going to have user configuration tweaks. That isn't how Steam works. The game is supposed to work correctly as installed.

If the developer wants to have tweaks then they can do it in their launcher or as a separate configuration tool.

It's similar to how Doom 2016 or Talos Project enable Vulkan. Steam doesn't do it, the game does it.

Comment

Still waiting for Feral to start releasing DRM-free games.

Comment

If someone wants advanced configuration options, then just use Lutris and your own version of Wine + DXVK. Steam is meant to "just work". Steam does not offer advanced config. options for games other than what the game developers already offer. I don't see Proton being any different.

Comment

rome2 total war please.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
              Steam Play needs a fair bit of work still.

As of now its based on the outdated non-Staging Wine 3.7 with esync & outdated DXVK 0.65 + their VR client sprinkles.

Valve needs to bring Steam Play closer to upstream versions, possibily embrace the Staging patchset, and allow wine configuration like Lutris does, with access to Winecfg, Winetricks, Wine registry, etc. as "advanced options" that can be enabled by the user. Many games that can work on Wine, including GTA 5, don't on Steam Play's Proton because of these reasons.

For now, I'll use Steam Play for "whitelisted" games but Lutris or PlayOnLinux for all else.

Glad to see Feral still wanting to release native ports, though. Optimized native ports will always be best.
              I hope not that Steam will integrate something like this. Lutris is far away from being the one nice and user friendly tool to manage all my games.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post

I hope not that Steam will integrate something like this. Lutris is far away from being the one nice and user friendly tool to manage all my games.
                Yea, I tried Lutris for the first time a few days ago and I could not even figure out how to install a certain game I was going for at the time. Uninstalled Lutris and went back to managing Wine the old fashioned way and for some reason that is more intuitive for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

Yea, I tried Lutris for the first time a few days ago and I could not even figure out how to install a certain game I was going for at the time. Uninstalled Lutris and went back to managing Wine the old fashioned way and for some reason that is more intuitive for me.
                  I do agree, doing something directly with Wine feels straight forward. Lutris seems to be totally overrated (at least there are a lot people out there always mentioning it whenever they talk about Wine) and it didn't even manage to sync multiple Steam libraries (not even showing all games of one library). There is not even a GOG connection. So in the end it is a partially implemented launcher for some Wine games and I think it is easier then without such a complicated interface.

Comment

Let's hope that games are only whitelisted after intensive testing on different machines.
                    It's good that Valve is going to tackle bugs in Wine directly rather than delivering game-specific workarounds.

Comment

Working...
                    X