Libratbag + Piper Allow For Great Logitech Gaming Mouse Support On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@gerry_here_to_learn:
    I've got a Deathadder right now, but when it dies I'm considering a Ducky mouse for this specific reason. Already got one of their keyboards and they are also driverless and configurable in hardware. A shame the firmware updater is Windows only though. Hope fwupd can be used for these peripherals one day.

Comment

Michael
      Ratbag, Piper PPA updated!

Comment

Debian sid needed additional packages for Ratbag since I didn't have meson/ninja installed.
        If someone else was wondering the same, here's the list.
        Code:
        meson libevdev-dev libsystemd-dev check valgrind swig python3-dev
        Anyway, turns out the Logitech G602 is 'special' and of course does not work. Yay.
        Hi! I decided to give Piper another chance since last time it was not useable for me. First install and run: all fine. Piper started but no buttons to configure. Removed the logitech receiver and s...

Didn't install Piper since there's no point for me atm.
        Last edited by dpanter; 21 August 2018, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by aaahaaap View Post
          What's unfortunate though is their dependency on systemd's dbus lib, which effectively means a dependency on systemd because it's quiet impractical to get that lib without getting the rest of systemd. Kinda crazy such a simple userspace program effectively depends on a init system
          it's linux prorgam, it depends on linux. linux' init system is part of systemd

Comment

Originally posted by Phoronix
            Ratbag/Piper is available on Fedora and other Linux distributions.
            Tell me in which version of Fedora Piper is available. Not in mine (28), by the way. Libratbag is available, though (and ratbagctl is not).

Comment

Originally posted by Girolamo_Cavazzoni View Post
              Tell me in which version of Fedora Piper is available. Not in mine (28), by the way. Libratbag is available, though (and ratbagctl is not).
              On fedora 29:
              $ dnf info piper
              Name : piper
              Version : 0.2.900
              Release : 3.20180214git5f6ed20.fc29
              Arch : noarch
              Size : 438 k
              Source : piper-0.2.900-3.20180214git5f6ed20.fc29.src.rpm
              Repo : @System
              From repo : fedora
              Summary : GTK application to configure gaming mice
              URL : https://github.com/libratbag/piper
              License : GPLv2+ and LGPLv2.1+
              Description : Piper is a GTK+ application to configure gaming mice, using libratbag
              : via ratbagd.

Comment

Thanks... Then I'll wait for the upgrade and subsequently try to to add both my G400s and G402 to their list of supported devices afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by phomes View Post

Using anything but the lib from systemd would be unfortunate. It is by far the best dbus library and the one with the sanest API. Choosing an inferior library simply due to which repository the code lives in would be ill-advised.
                  Yeah, from a code/library perspective it makes sense. The repo where the code lives in is not all that relevant, what doesn't make sense is that it's only available as part of an effectively monolithic release.
                  It's just a DBus lib, should just be split off and be a separate project with it's own lifecycle and no unnecessary dependencies. Then you have a usable project and a usable building block.

Comment

One less reason to keep my Windows install. Excellent. Going to give it a go with my G502.

Comment

Have not tested it fully, but managed to get it installed on my system and it at least detects the mouse. Using Kubuntu 18.04 64bit and a G502 (non RGB).
                      Even with the ppa I had to take a few extra steps to get it to work. First, the version in the ppa is apparently old and has a bug where it will not start if you have an unassigned button. I had to load LGS in Windows and assign actions to all the mouse buttons. Second issue, even with the ppa I was still missing a library. Forgot which one, but I think it is python3-gi-cairo. After those two workarounds the program launches with no problems.

Comment

Working...
                      X