Libratbag + Piper Allow For Great Logitech Gaming Mouse Support On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Libratbag + Piper Allow For Great Logitech Gaming Mouse Support On Linux

Phoronix: Libratbag + Piper Allow For Great Logitech Gaming Mouse Support On Linux

While Roccat previously backed their devices on Linux that is the case no more and what is left for the time being are various community/third-party applications for supporting gaming mice/keyboard configuration under Linux from Logitech to Razer and various other lesser known brands of gaming peripherals (Razer will hopefully change this, at least). One of the most promising efforts right now for unifying mouse configuration on Linux is libratbag and its GTK3 Piper interface. Ratbag and Piper have evolved into a very competent open-source project for configuring Logitech mice on the Linux desktop.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

various community/third-party applications for supporting gaming mice/keyboard configuration under Linux from Logitech to Razer and various other lesser known brands of gaming peripherals (Razer will hopefully change this, at least)
    I believe libratbag can't support Razer due to some stupid nonsense in Razer's EULA.
    For those who doesn't give a crap, there's still razercfg.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

I believe libratbag can't support Razer due to some stupid nonsense in Razer's EULA.
      For those who doesn't give a crap, there's still razercfg.
      I am talking about something else Razer is doing yet to be introduced, later in the article I mention no Razer support in Ratbag.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Both piper and libratbag are quiet nice, really like the consistent UI/UX they're bringing to management of these devices. A lot better than what you normally get from the vendors themselves with their custom and almost always rather ugly interfaces with subpar usability.

What's unfortunate though is their dependency on systemd's dbus lib, which effectively means a dependency on systemd because it's quiet impractical to get that lib without getting the rest of systemd. Kinda crazy such a simple userspace program effectively depends on a init system
        See https://github.com/libratbag/libratbag/issues/239 for more info
        Last edited by aaahaaap; 21 August 2018, 11:57 AM.

Comment

This Piper is really cool, I don't think there exist anything like it for other operating systems such as Windows or macOS.
          Sure the vendors own tool that only work with their own devices exist, but nothing like a global tool that works across different devices from different vendors.

Great UI too. The tools offered by the vendors are very bloated and have terrible UI.

Comment

Hmm, not a single mouse of Sharkoon is on the list. I own a Sharkoon Drakonia.

Comment

Good to know, thanks for the article ! Any equivalent available for keyboards (or coming soon) ?

Comment

I just want to shoutout to mice that require no drivers or special software for any os and whose dpi can be changed by a hardware button. Have a Zowie FK2 and its the best mouse on any OS i have used by far. There is a lot to be said for peripherals' you plug in and just use without having to faff around with drivers, special software or additional configuration.

Comment

We also support a bunch of steelseries mice, a gskill, and a roccat mouse. The device list that is linked to is just an informal list that we use in the developer team to know who can test changes for mice etc. The best way to get an overview of the supported mice is to check the .device files here:
                  A DBus daemon to configure input devices, mainly high-end and gaming mice - libratbag/libratbag

Comment

Originally posted by aaahaaap View Post
                    Both piper and libratbag are quiet nice, really like the consistent UI/UX they're bringing to management of these devices. A lot better than what you normally get from the vendors themselves with their custom and almost always rather ugly interfaces with subpar usability.

What's unfortunate though is their dependency on systemd's dbus lib, which effectively means a dependency on systemd because it's quiet impractical to get that lib without getting the rest of systemd. Kinda crazy such a simple userspace program effectively depends on a init system
                    See https://github.com/libratbag/libratbag/issues/239 for more info
                    Using anything but the lib from systemd would be unfortunate. It is by far the best dbus library and the one with the sanest API. Choosing an inferior library simply due to which repository the code lives in would be ill-advised.

Comment

Working...
                    X