Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It Looks Like A Steam 64-Bit Client Could Finally Be Near

Phoronix: It Looks Like A Steam 64-Bit Client Could Finally Be Near

It looks like Valve could be prepping to finally ship a 64-bit Steam client, possibly coinciding with their long talked about Steam UI/UX overhaul...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow, this was unexpected... and great!
    I hope we'll see more 64bit builds coming in for games as well. This was one of the most upvoted issues: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/ste...nux/issues/179

I think that going with 32bits in the first place was a mistake, even in 2013.

That said, couldn't it be for the windows client?

Now, if valve could.fix the Steam controller support... It has been plagued with many issues in the past few months.

Comment

It's about time :-)

Comment

it seems that now i'll have wine and pcsx2 as reasons to keep 32bit libraries around.

I do wonder will 32bit games still be somehow supported by the steam runtime?

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
          it seems that now i'll have wine and pcsx2 as reasons to keep 32bit libraries around.

The steam runtime is just a collection of libraries, they'll keep those for the 32bit games that are already out there

Comment

yes, the games will work the same way.

The end of linux 32 bits distros are near.

wine is improving the 64 bits client, I personaly use without problem, pcsx2 no ideia but multiarch can run 32 bits apps like windows does

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
              Wow, this was unexpected... and great!
              I hope we'll see more 64bit builds coming in for games as well. This was one of the most upvoted issues: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/ste...nux/issues/179

I think that going with 32bits in the first place was a mistake, even in 2013.

That said, couldn't it be for the windows client?

Now, if valve could.fix the Steam controller support... It has been plagued with many issues in the past few months.
              Shouldn't have any impact on 64bit builds for games, they were able to be shipped prior to this and there are quite a few of them. That's just a developer choice.

As far as the Steam controller, what issues? I have one and have had no issues with mine in Linux, Android or Windows (some problems on my Mac but it's company owned... probably some security restrictions there).

Comment

It's a shame today be present only 32 bit programs if still maintained, when 32bit operating systems are extinguished.

Comment

I'd say it's macOS driving this. It pops a warning saying Steam (and any other 32-bit binary, but Steam is the only one I had) will stop working on new macOS releases.

Comment

Last time I used wine for a game I created a 64-bit environment. I don't see why that couldn't be default now, because you can still run 32-bit software within it. Although there are some bugs open specifically for 64-bit environment. The other reason for keeping 32-bit is that you can run old 16-bit applications.

Comment

Working...
                    X