Steam Linux Use Dips Back Below 0.5%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zoll View Post
    but to think someone is just waiting to change their primary OS just because it's available on Linux is pure fantasy.
    Some (quite many) years back this kind of thing made me quit dual booting and go linux exclusively. In my case though Linux was already the primary os.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      Any fanboy has to read this, unless they want to remain ignorant. It's pure facts.

Originally posted by Almindor View Post
      That's true but the main issue with Linux is actually that it's broken on the library ABI compatibility layer.
      Amen.

However, identifying the problems seems to label you as "Windows shill" so no wonder they'll never get solved I guess. At least there's Wine.

Comment

Steam is one of the best things on Linux since Ardour. Love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronshere View Post
          Why does Steam even need a survey? Can't they tell what operating systems are connecting to them? Their wanting to survey about the OS is odd.
          x2, most software simply has an on/off switch to enable "anonymous usage data" that would include all the basics like OS, hardware, and driver information. Why Steam uses this bizarre random survey, who knows.

Comment

I am glad Steam tried to make Linux a first class citizen, but since it isn't people are resort to pci-express passthrough of their secondary GPUs to Windows VMs. I have never seen a hotter trend in the Linux world:

My own Ryzen 1950x pci express passthrough has had me elated at the prospect at never giving Windows raw access to my hardware again, nor having to dual boot in order to use my Oculus or play Windows exclusives like Nex Machina.

Comment

Well, the survey popped up twice in one day (one on each Linux installation) and then once more, less than 24 hours after the second, on Windows 10. THREE TIMES IN 36 HOURS ON THE SAME MACHINE.

all three systems (Antergos, Ubuntu 18.04, Win10) were installed on that one machine pretty recently, so using a "new computer" seems to have an effect.

apparently Valve intends the survey to appear only once annually per person: "Historically, the survey used a client-side method to ensure that systems were counted only once per year, in order to provide an accurate picture of the entire Steam user population."
              it appears that signing in on an unfamiliar computer or on a new install counts as a whole new machine. if you receive a "
              Your Steam account: Access from new computer
              " email, you are more likely to get a survey for that OS in the near future.

Comment

I got the survey twice last mont. Once on my laptop(linux) and once on my vr box(w10).

Eventually I'm planning on going back to full Linux and just running Windows with passthrough but I'm waiting for Zen2 for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Juppstein View Post
                  In a few years games will only be streamed exclusively anyway so the problem will solve itself in one way or another. It will be interesting to see how much longer we have to wait for Valve to enter the streaming market and test the grounds there. From that point on the OS does not matter anymore for those that use their computers mainly for gaming.
                  This won't happen anytime soon, if ever. There are many drawbacks to streaming games. AAA gaming at least will remain traditional for the foreseeable future. Of course inept companies like Microsoft think otherwise, which is why they keep spending money on futile projects.

Comment

So if I am gaming on Lutris + Steam Wine, is that Windows or Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by asyn View Post
                      So if I am gaming on Lutris + Steam Wine, is that Windows or Linux?
                      I don't use Lutris but if you look at the faq on the website there is a link to the Linux Gamers Group Discord and they can help you.

Comment

Working...
                      X