Steam Linux Use Dips Back Below 0.5%

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
    Microsoft got sick of bug reports of kernel panics caused by obfuscating gone wrong so they have drawn line in sand.
    Good.

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
    Really https://reproducible-builds.org/ just because you build something yourself does not mean the binaries have to be any different.
    Sorry but even a minor update in GCC can vastly change the output, not to mention compilation flags which every Gentoo uses. Nobody will bother with "reproducible builds" in Gentoo. I'm talking realistically here.

You argued with L_A_G in the other thread about your reproducible build and he already proved you wrong so I'm not gonna bother, you're fixated on your stuff I guess...

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
      Sorry but even a minor update in GCC can vastly change the output, not to mention compilation flags which every Gentoo uses. Nobody will bother with "reproducible builds" in Gentoo. I'm talking realistically here.
      https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-d...f5ae5e567c0db8

Reality here is gentoo is working on reproducible builds so that when someone reports a fault with package the user is able to provide a build file that will allow exactly what they have to be reproduced so fault can be located and fixed.

So reproducible builds has value even to gentoo.

L_A_G did not prove me wrong on this point. Most his arguements like yours right now is purely incorrect. Does not matter if distributions is binary based or source based both groups are working on reproducible for two different reasons.

1) Binary base distributions to detect and prevent modified binaries.
      2) Source based distributions to make bug report debugging in fact practical by being able to reproduce the same binaries the person reporting fault has. Cases where reproducible has worked with gentoo has allowed quite few gcc flag bugs to be found that would have been in the past put in the work for me pile and bug closed, So reproducible with gentoo is already paying for the work .

So both source and binary distributions want reproducible builds. The fact source based distributions are doing reproducible builds for debugging its not that hard for them to do reproducible builds particular programs.

The realistic thing here is all major Linux Distributions source or binary long term will support reproducible builds because its too much risk/pain not to.

Comment

Working...
      X