Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The State of Gaming On Debian In 2018

Phoronix: The State of Gaming On Debian In 2018

Happening now in Hsinchu, Taiwan is Debian's DebConf 18. Of the many interesting talks at this multi-day event is X11 veteran Keith Packard talking about gaming on Debian...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Talking from expirience here - playonlinux works fine on debian/sid. tested alot of games including: Perfect World, Star Trek Online, Neverwinter. Most of the Unreal3 based games work, TERA for example. Native games from GOG work fine. Steam i dont use, i cant tale.
    Last edited by deant; 31 July 2018, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Lutris is the replacement for POL. I don't know why someone would use POL over Lutris, unless you struggle learning new things.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
        Lutris is the replacement for POL. I don't know why someone would use POL over Lutris, unless you struggle learning new things.
        You must be the only one who has heard of Lutris.

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post

You must be the only one who has heard of Lutris.
          I'm not sure how you could not have heard of Lutris. Lutris makes Wine + game specific Wine patches easy to use. And that's easy as in one click install. Lutris really puts PlayOnLinux to shame

Comment

... I don't know why someone would use POL over Lutris, unless you struggle learning new things.
            Or like using unmaintained software / install scripts? ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by bobwya View Post

Or like using unmaintained software / install scripts? ;-)
              Lutris scripts won't be maintained any better in the long term. POL is simply bigger and older. Size is a killer. In the end, it's just better to avoid such scripts and use Wine AppDB for instructions.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

Lutris scripts won't be maintained any better in the long term. POL is simply bigger and older. Size is a killer. In the end, it's just better to avoid such scripts and use Wine AppDB for instructions.
                Hear hear. I haven't used PoL or Lutris, I have used for years just plain old wine(-staging) for EVEOnline, WoW and Diablo 3, the latter two with Batlle.net Launcher. Battle.net Launcher I start with wine Battle.net.exe (the Launcher can also be started from it) not the Launcher directly to avoid a lot of crap with Battle.net Helper and such. Running Steam Linux now to use the voicechat with my sons all over the world as it works fairly well now and it will get better. Don't need to start Battle.net anymore for the voicechat. Skype is crap nowadays. For backup we also have our own TS3 server

Comment

I generally don't use the script install part of Lutris, I only use it as a GUI launcher with easier to toggle and play with settings without any need of going into a text editor etc.. Works ok for me.

Comment

Originally posted by DRanged View Post

Hear hear. I haven't used PoL or Lutris,
                    I generally don't use the script install part of Lutris, I only use it as a GUI launcher with easier to toggle and play with settings without any need of going into a text editor etc.. Works ok for me.

The UI can be a neat Wine prefix manager, but scripts surely often experience bit rot. So UI has more value than such scripts.

I used POL in such way as simply a prefix manager for a while, but after the project got abandoned, I didn't switch to Lutris, but simply wrote my own generic scripts to manage prefixes.
                    Last edited by shmerl; 31 July 2018, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X