Epic Games Rolls Out Unreal Engine 4.20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
    Are there UE4 game Linux ports which aren't shitty?
    EVERSPACE , Ruiner , Helium Rain.

​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
      My hate for Fortnite is so unbelievably strong it can't be normal. I hate also that Epic has paused everything on UT for this trendy fad game.

And I'm usually not one of these kinds of people that bitches like this (well, I do tend to bitch a lot), but I hate everything about it and I get why they do it because it makes money but doesn't mean I have to like it. *takes deep breath*
      That's actually the opposite

Thanks to Fortnite we get better support for mobile, performance improvements for large scale multiplayer games, and more importantly more exposure

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

I understand (I have a similar dislike for Unity).
        Try not to focus on how Epic Games makes their money. At the end of the day in this climate they cannot be above shamelessly sucking money out of the "trendy kids". Otherwise they simply wont survive.

Try to look at the positive. Unlike Unity, Epic Games allows access to the source for their fantastic tools. Again unlike Unity, these kind of tools are actually viable for AAA game studios and not just to suck money out of "prosumers".

Try to think of Fortnite just as a funding drive and nothing more. It is not actually intended for people like you and I.

Originally posted by Scellow View Post

That's actually the opposite

Thanks to Fortnite we get better support for mobile, performance improvements for large scale multiplayer games, and more importantly more exposure
        I hear you guys, I know you're right.

Comment

I'm still hoping they will one day give us the Unreal Engine 1.X code, like they said they would. That engine may be old, but it's still good and perfect for Linux users.

Comment

I compiled ue4.19.2 last night on win 10 the Epic games Launcher does not recognize the engine being installed. I have only compiled ue4 one other time on win 10 and I remember the launcher working with the engine. Maybe no launcher for Linux because of an issue like this. There is this networking tech called spatialos that games are using. Linux has experimental support for spatialos (everything for linux is expermental...). I don't know if or when this tech demo will be released.

About SURVIVALSpatialOS and UE4 enable this tech demo which hosts up to 1000 concurrent players in a single "game instance" with 10,000 AI opponents and 100,...

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
              My hate for Fortnite is so unbelievably strong it can't be normal. I hate also that Epic has paused everything on UT for this trendy fad game.

And I'm usually not one of these kinds of people that bitches like this (well, I do tend to bitch a lot), but I hate everything about it and I get why they do it because it makes money but doesn't mean I have to like it. *takes deep breath*
              I got so mad when they released fortnite on mobile I removed them from github. Only to crawl back...

Comment

Originally posted by TheLexMachine View Post
                I'm still hoping they will one day give us the Unreal Engine 1.X code, like they said they would. That engine may be old, but it's still good and perfect for Linux users.
                Agreed. I'd love to see people update UE1 so that games like UT99 don't require you to pin your CPU's clock speed before starting the game.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLexMachine View Post
                  I know. It would be perfect. I much prefer these light engines.
                  Unfortunately this will be very unlikely. It compiled dirty in the way it dragged in loads of 3rd party middle ware which they cannot give out the source to.

Basically, proprietary code is infectious in exactly the same way as the GPL :/

They have released open-source parts of their 1.x engine such as the renderer and things like that.

Comment

I don't think the original Unreal engine has much middleware, if any, though it was designed to be extended with such things. 2.X and later, most definitely has third-party stuff in it.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Agreed. I'd love to see people update UE1 so that games like UT99 don't require you to pin your CPU's clock speed before starting the game.
                      Enabling V-Sync fixes the issue of the game going too fast, but adds input latency.

Is there a way to limit the FPS of any game on Linux, without resorting to V-Sync and without lowering the CPU's clock speed? I haven't found any open source tool for this, even on Windows.

Comment

Working...
                      X