No announcement yet.

GNU FreeDink - One Of The Few Fully Free Software Games - Now Runs On The Web

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNU FreeDink - One Of The Few Fully Free Software Games - Now Runs On The Web

Phoronix: GNU FreeDink - One Of The Few Fully Free Software Games - Now Runs On The Web

When it comes to obscure projects under the official GNU Project umbrella, GNU FreeDink is one of them as being a free software game whose lineage traces back to the Dink Smallwood title from the late 90's. Nearly twenty years after the game's original release, the latest GNU FreeDink release is now available that allows it to be played within web-browsers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Am I the only one who read « FreeDrink » ?

Comment

1. I don't give a fuck if a game is FOSS

2. I give a fuck if graphics, gameplay, story, and mechanics are pooly done.

Comment

Ooh, Dink Smallwood was a total classic <3

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post

Exactly this. Open source sometimes is 20 years behind, and I hate it.

Comment

Did anyone manage to feed the pigs? After having picked up the sack of feed and selected the bag item, not the fist item, he can still only use his fist and hit the pigs.
            Last edited by andreano; 21 June 2018, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by andreano View Post
              Did anyone manage to feed the pigs? I found the sack of feed, but the only thing he can do to the pigs is to hit them.
              Press enter, navigate to the sack and press control. Then you can use it instead of fists.

Comment

Exception thrown, see javascript console...

Comment

An example of game that is actually leveraging the opensource community is Endless Sky. It's a top-down spaceship/fleet-ish game which is designed to allow non-programmers to add ships, ship systems, races, star systems and missions/campaigns as most of that is dealt with by plain text files.

If you are into that type of game, it's neat.

Comment

Ah, not me. I tend to not give a crap if a game has DRM or something else that makes it unplayable in the years to come.

I actually did not know about FreeDink (why is that, I am surprised it is not more well known?!). It looks pretty fun. I might download it and give it a shot (not running from a browser so I can actually save and things we used to be able to do back in the 90's ). The idea of modules looks really cool.

But as a bonus for being FOSS and all, I can guarantee that FreeDink will outlive pretty much anything EA is currently selling haha. Cool thought eh?

Comment

Working...
                    X