Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by msotirov View Post
    WebKit
    This was already a thing in the form of KHTML before Apple forked it and added their bits to it, hardly a contribution.”

Uhh Webkit (While forked) is a whole other ball game when it comes to web renderer’s, It's like your saying Google Blink is nothing more than some bits added onto Webkit...

CUPS
    Same as WebKit, it already existed prior to their fork, they added their company name to it and made some changes and that's it

Yah.. existed… but forked and built up to be usable in the way Unix prints today, again a pretty drastic code base, denying this is pure ignorant…

LLVM
    I doubt Apple themselves made this from scratch, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, and it's still worse than GCC in many areas (performance, etc).

Clang/LLVM is a high profile important contribution piece, I really think you have to go back to the drawing board and do some re-learning, as you are stuck twirling in the abyss of misinformation with the personality that makes each of your co-workers *face-palm* each time they have to converse with you….

@Weasel: Absolutely spot on. Actually Apple is far worse than Microsoft in terms of freedom: they even lock you down to hardware level, there's a reason the term "Hackintosh" exists and yet no Hackindows.

You do know that the reason for that is cause OSX is custom build for select components, I don't think I even have to further expand on this as I'm hoping you can conclude the economic and performance reasoning for this on your own...

What type of posters frequent here? a bunch of "My first distro" users?

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
      Is it a case of 'impossible to map to Metal' or 'more development required'?
      It's impossible to map cleanly. It could be emulated, of course, but they made a decision from the start to avoid doing that kind of thing because it would kill performance. This way, 99% works fast and the other 1% just fails to compile rather than causing slowdowns at runtime.

Comment

Originally posted by Beerbaron23 View Post
        You do know that the reason for that is cause OSX is custom build for select components, I don't think I even have to further expand on this as I'm hoping you can conclude the economic and performance reasoning for this on your own...
        Actually no, completely wrong, there is never, I repeat, *NEVER* a reason to lock down user's CHOICE, no matter Apple's (or its users' parroting) PR bullshit.

If an OS doesn't work with some hardware, because it simply doesn't support it, that's one thing. If it's intentionally locked then it's nothing but bullshit PR speech.

Imagine if, for example, Apple blacklist MoltenVK "because we didn't design our OS for it". And you eat that bullshit with a spoon. If MoltenVK crashes by itself, that's fine, not Apple's responsibility. But to have checks in place to INTENTIONALLY screw with people's choice? Laughable.

Obviously it's all about keeping that tight control over the dumb users and ecosystem, as everyone with a brain can figure it out. Don't let users choose what to use, intentionally screw with them, even if it works anyway. And Apple users are happy being treated like sheep, lol.
        Last edited by Weasel; 03 June 2018, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
          Actually no, completely wrong, there is never, I repeat, *NEVER* a reason to lock down user's CHOICE, no matter Apple's (or its users' parroting) PR bullshit.
          That's not how software works though. Many times it appears to work somewhat but then fails in subtle ways degrading the user's experience gradually and you end up with a situation like what we have in desktop Linux now, where it sort of works but you bump into problems from time to time. On Apple devices software either completely and flawlessly works or outright doesn't work. There's no ambiguity for the user.

Comment

That's not how software works though. Many times it appears to work somewhat but then fails in subtle ways degrading the user's experience gradually and you end up with a situation like what we have in desktop Linux now, where it sort of works but you bump into problems from time to time. On Apple devices software either completely and flawlessly works or outright doesn't work. There's no ambiguity for the user.
            And who is Apple to decide the user doesn't rather have a "broken user experience" than none at all? Their mom? Cause clearly users can't decide for themselves they're 6 year olds, good thing we have Apple Nanny State to tell us what we should like or use! Basically proving my point.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
              And who is Apple to decide the user doesn't rather have a "broken user experience" than none at all? Their mom? Cause clearly users can't decide for themselves they're 6 year olds, good thing we have Apple Nanny State to tell us what we should like or use! Basically proving my point.
              No need to get wound up, I get your point. I just don't agree with it. I as a user would prefer to entirely not see a button in the UI that might crash the program, instead of having the freedom to choose bad user experience by clicking the button. I can't make it any clearer than that so lets agree to disagree peacefully.

Comment

The point is that it's literally the definition of anti-freedom. That's not a matter of opinion. Even if by default it doesn't show the UI but you have to go to some settings, that's more understandable.

As an analogy, you can't just say "my opinion is that people should not be allowed to speak whatever they want because of reasons" and then claim that "it's not anti free-speech at all", really man. Apple is simply the worst when it comes to freedom.

Comment

Working...
                X