Initial Vulkan Performance On macOS With Dota 2 Is Looking Very Good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Qaridarium

well yes... but he really did the right thing. Apple today is so bad and a negative force they should be banned all over the world.
    It's still not the right thing, he accomplished nothing but this little celebrity on youtube.
    He could have worked with UFC que choisir or similar to fight them legally in France or if not maybe in Europe, and maybe actually do something useful for all.
    Even he could have tried to protest in front, maybe deter new customers, do actual damage to the brand, etc...

When I had a particular issue with a specific manufacturer, I started by talking to my law teacher, really looking at my legal options and I was about ready to go with that if not for the fact that another branch of that manufacturer in the country I had just moved in for a bit was nice enough to deal with my problem for free and without any proof needed. In the meantime i did my best to deter customers in my original country from that brand while promoting it in the other one... (that made it probably moot, I guess I was too dumb to understand that).
    Last edited by geearf; 02 June 2018, 03:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post

It's still not the right thing, he accomplished nothing but this little celebrity on youtube.
      He could have worked with UFC que choisir or similar to fight them legally in France or if not maybe in Europe, and maybe actually do something useful for all.
      Even he could have tried to protest in front, maybe deter new customers, do actual damage to the brand, etc...

When I had a particular issue with a specific manufacturer, I started by talking to my law teacher, really looking at my legal options and I was about ready to go with that if not for the fact that another branch of that manufacturer in the country I had just moved in for a bit was nice enough to deal with my problem for free and without any proof needed. In the meantime i did my best to deter customers in my original country from that brand while promoting it in the other one... (that made it probably moot, I guess I was too dumb to understand that).
      Actually, that may help encourage the good behavior. If more people do that.

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
        This is just awesome, moltenvk being opensource helped vulkan a lot
        I know Apple is butthurt deep down that nobody uses their garbage proprietary API. It's funny how they still think they can "pull a Microsoft" with their pathetic share.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
          It's funny how they still think they can "pull a Microsoft" with their pathetic share.
          Worse than Microsoft. Microsoft will push directX yes. But when AMD and Nvidia want to push Vulkan drivers onto windows then Microsoft does not stand in their way. The IHVs and dev community were allowed to get Vulkan going on windows without interference.

when it comes to the spectrum of freedom in PC...
          Linux on one end.
          windows in the middle.
          Apple on the other end.

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael
            Fuck this macOS garbage.
            I'm sure they appreciate your highly constructive criticism. On a side note, let's see your open source contributions comparable to Webkit, CUPS, LLVM and Swift?

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael
              Did Apple ever get fined for their tax evasion?
              Probably not :/
              Same for all the other similar companies, but I think at some points some laws about that started changing. I could be wrong though.

Comment

Originally posted by msotirov View Post

I'm sure they appreciate your highly constructive criticism. On a side note, let's see your open source contributions comparable to Webkit, CUPS, LLVM and Swift?
                Leave it be. Don't feed the trolls...

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
                  Worse than Microsoft. Microsoft will push directX yes. But when AMD and Nvidia want to push Vulkan drivers onto windows then Microsoft does not stand in their way. The IHVs and dev community were allowed to get Vulkan going on windows without interference.

when it comes to the spectrum of freedom in PC...
                  Linux on one end.
                  windows in the middle.
                  Apple on the other end.
                  Absolutely spot on. Actually Apple is far worse than Microsoft in terms of freedom: they even lock you down to hardware level, there's a reason the term "Hackintosh" exists and yet no Hackindows.

Comment

Originally posted by GunpowaderGuy View Post
                    we need to share this with mozilla ( what would be the best channel ?) , they have tried to make webvulkan and this is proof that is not only practical but would not requiere constraining vulkan to make it work on plataforms that dont support the api
                    Except moltenvk is constrained. Most of vulkan is available in it, but not all because they can't support all of it over Metal on macs.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                      Except moltenvk is constrained. Most of vulkan is available in it, but not all because they can't support all of it over Metal on macs.
                      Is it a case of 'impossible to map to Metal' or 'more development required'?

I don't know much about graphics but the fact that Dota 2 runs and renders correctly at high performance is a good sign for a start... A couple of years down the line with more contributions from Valve and others how much closer can we get... doesn't need to be 100%.

As a result of the recent moltenVK developments the QT guys are also now working on using Vulkan to target macs.
                      https://blog.qt.io/blog/2018/05/30/v...r-qt-on-macos/
                      Last edited by humbug; 02 June 2018, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X