Initial Vulkan Performance On macOS With Dota 2 Is Looking Very Good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Initial Vulkan Performance On macOS With Dota 2 Is Looking Very Good

Phoronix: Initial Vulkan Performance On macOS With Dota 2 Is Looking Very Good

Yesterday Valve released Vulkan support for Dota 2 on macOS. Indeed, this first major game relying upon MoltenVK for mapping Vulkan over the Apple Metal drivers is delivering performance gains...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

In the video in the previous post on phoronix I noticed stuttering while the game was playing on Vulkan, but none on OpenGL. So I'm a little skeptical about these numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
      In the video in the previous post on phoronix I noticed stuttering while the game was playing on Vulkan, but none on OpenGL. So I'm a little skeptical about these numbers.
      I haven't noticed any stuttering. Do keep in mind that the YouTube video of it is back from February, while since have obviously been a lot of optimization work, etc.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

As a long time Mac user, I‘d like to say woobdidoo. Let’s hope the performance is actually good and not just a bit better than the bad OpenGL implementation

Comment

we need to share this with mozilla ( what would be the best channel ?) , they have tried to make webvulkan and this is proof that is not only practical but would not requiere constraining vulkan to make it work on plataforms that dont support the api

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael
            Fuck this macOS garbage.

Comment

It's a dumb video, it was never going to cost Apple anything but their insurance...

Comment

This is just awesome, moltenvk being opensource helped vulkan a lot

Comment

He did the right thing, Apple and their cronies are a bunch of fascists and deserve to be in jail.
                  He had to pay 17.548 euros Apple back, a 300 euros fine for hitting the security guy, yeah that looks like he did the right thing for himself.
                  Not to mention he's not too far from 6 months of jail.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                    The CPU usage difference isn't as clear unlike some Vulkan Linux games where there is a great deal of CPU savings, but at least with Dota 2 on macOS with Vulkan at the higher resolutions there does appear to be a slight savings on the CPU.
                    The CPU load might not be lower but the performance/watt is significantly better so the Vulkan renderer is definitely more efficient.
                    If you would limit the framerate to 30fps and run this test you would likely see a significantly lower CPU utilization with the Vulkan backend.
                    Depends on how you define CPU savings, if you would limit the game to the same framerate as the OpenGL backend you would likely save a lot of CPU utilization.s

Comment

Working...
                    X