• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
    AMD Open Source drivers will be running smoothly
    And still behind NVIDIA blob.

Snap and/or Flatpak will have provided a nice portable packaging, platform and container format for game devs to target to allow their games to run on many popular distros.
    Nothing like this will ever happen. The vast majority of game developers will choose Steam as the target platform and only Steam Runtime counts there.
    More independent developers will publish their own games as they are (on Itch.io, Game Jolt, Patreon/MEGA.nz, etc.). They usually use HTML (e.g. SugarCube/Twine), RenPy, GameMaker, RPG Maker, NaCl (e.g. Construct 2/Tiled), Unity, etc.

As long as we have a spiffy interface and ease of use, we can beat Mac OS X.
    Linux can beat macOS (in gaming market) only if Apple completely abandons x86 by 2020, as some rumors say. However, I do not believe that they will take such a step. Releasing ARM-powered Macs is possible, but abandoning x86 hardware - IMHO no.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
      What's wrong with forcing kids to play with something they don't like? That's the reason schools and parenting exist!
      Playing does imply it is fun for them, if you have to impose your will on them, it's because they don't find it fun.

Comment

Originally posted by the_scx View Post
        And still behind NVIDIA blob.
        I don't know why you'd assume that. The Open Source driver is AMD's focus for consumer users and for gaming. I've seen that AMD can produce a binary driver that equals NVIDIA's binary driver in quality. Why would you or I assume that they can't produce an Open Source driver that matches their own proprietary driver in quality or NVIDIA's? It doesn't seem reasonable to assume they can't because:

1. They've already done a huge chunk of the work and it's running very well and very competitively with both theirs and NVIDIAs binary drivers.

2. The Open Source model for developing software has been shown to yield incredibly high quality results including the Linux kernel, Firefox, Chromium, LibreOffice, Vim, emacs, etc. I regularly use the Intel Open Source graphics driver and have found it work work equally as well as the equivalent binary driver on Windows.

Did you just throw that comment out there because you love running secret, proprietary and restrictive code and are put off by the culture of people out there that support and develop open systems that are more focused on privacy and security?

Nothing like this will ever happen. The vast majority of game developers will choose Steam as the target platform and only Steam Runtime counts there.
        More independent developers will publish their own games as they are (on Itch.io, Game Jolt, Patreon/MEGA.nz, etc.). They usually use HTML (e.g. SugarCube/Twine), RenPy, GameMaker, RPG Maker, NaCl (e.g. Construct 2/Tiled), Unity, etc.
        Steam is one platform. I agree that many devs will choose to target that. It's common for devs to release on other platforms too though (you listed some). For these other platforms that don't have their own software deployment mechanism or where that mechanism is optional (eg GoG.com), they need some way to make a game binary that will run on lots of different GNU/Linux systems. Right now there isn't a single, popular, secure and widely compatible mechanism. I know this from my own experience of buying GNU/Linux from platforms other than Steam. Saying that the game is written in HTML tech or Unity doesn't help answer this problem. Both of those things need some kind of package (the former less so). If Snap or Flatpak became popular then it's likely that Unity would have built in features for directly exporting a game to a .snap or a .flatpak file so that the game can be installed on many different distros.

Further to the above, there are things about Snap and Flatpak that could even benefit games that are distributed via the Steam platform. Both of these things can encapsulate or provide a run time environment that is created/known by the game developer. This can make games work more consistently across platforms. It can also allow Valve to make Steam run on more distros with less effort.

Linux can beat macOS (in gaming market) only if Apple completely abandons x86 by 2020, as some rumors say. However, I do not believe that they will take such a step. Releasing ARM-powered Macs is possible, but abandoning x86 hardware - IMHO no.
        There's a lot wrong with what you just said.

1. You've made a big and very specific claim (by 2020) but given no evidence or even any supporting anecdotes.

2. "Linux" has already beaten Mac OS [X] in the gaming market. Android is Linux and it's the most popular consumer device OS on the planet and is extremely popular for gaming.

3. GNU/Linux (not what you said, but maybe you were thinking of that) may or may not have beaten Mac OS X for gaming. I'm not sure. There's not central db of GNU/Linux systems and whether they are used for gaming out there. I know that my GNU/Linux systems are used for gaming sometimes but I've never registered them anywhere.
        Last edited by cybertraveler; 31 May 2018, 07:42 PM.

Comment

starshipeleven timofonic
          If you are about to force your will on anyone, especially kids to do anything against their will, it means you are doing something seriously wrong. Parenting isn't about that (unless you want to create traumatized people who will continue to traumatize theirs...), it's about dealing with problems people face with their kids togheter with their kids. Schools are another question tho..., you have teachers who are completely incompetent to do their job, parents who are completely incompetent to be parents (mostly forced by society norms, but I don't give them that excuse tho.), and you end up with kids who do not listen and "require" your will to be forced on them.

And laws wouldn't solve those problems, when I was a kid, there was no law to prevent teacher to hit a child like there is today, but, majority of teachers did not hit anyone, one or two did "hit" (more like make believe) kids from time to time, but it was considered as "unwanted behaviour" from teacher, and most of the time school would restrict that teacher if he does so locally. When I was 5th grade of primary school, one teacher of those did hit me, despite the fact it was "weak hit" and I did not feel anything, I've imidiately abandoned class and go to the director of the school and reported him, and I was waiting for that to happen because others allowed him to behave that way, since then, he never hitted anyone of my classmates he did before.

Today, teachers may face criminal charges if they do hit student, but that doesn't solve the problem, since kids behaviour only got worse in past 2 decades, and that's the fault of parents at the first place and teachers who are not fit for the job. Good teacher would not "yell at kids" or exercise any authority, till this day I remmember teacher who would make whole class listen to him without ever raising his voice or exercising authority, let alone hitting anyone, because that's teacher's primary job, to teach kids and to know how to make them interested in the topic.

Sorry for the offtipic stuff, i had to.

Comment

Originally posted by leipero View Post
            since kids behaviour only got worse in past 2 decades
            Sentences like this only tell others how old you are. kids behaviour has always been the same at any point in time, and adults at any point in time always complained that the "newer generations are worse" when it's just a memory artifact or they lack the ability to see things with different points of view than their own (which changed over time, so while they were young they saw things differently).

Also average parents sucked balls even in the past, teachers also (going back much less as public education is a relatively new concept in human history).

I otherwise agree with your post.

Comment

starshipeleven I have no problem with my age, if anyone needs to know. It's not mine observation, let me tell you where I came with that conclusion from. First by meeting few of my old teachers and talking to them, most of them told me (and not only me) that "They thought we were bad behaving", but now they realise "We were golden in comparison with today kids". Oh, and trust me, it is not memory artifact, the fact is, and this is second sorce for "my opinion", is that when I was a kid, we were much "poorer" (in material ways), yet, stealing was unheard of, people would keep their front doors unlocked all the time (most people do today also tho, when I do my job, my job is to go from home to home, and I enter someones home to do my job, and lot's of people keep unlocked), now it is less common in comparison, but there are cases of people getting things stolen, old people got beaten from time to time, that simply did not happened before, it's all a matter of culture. Put it simply, in my city, in 10 years if 1 murder happened at those times, now, one murder happens every 2-3 years (at about 200k people), maybe even once per year sometimes.

Yes, I agree that average parents sucked balls even in the past, teachers, I slightly disagree, and reason why "slightly" is because it depends where you lived and what was socio-economic system there, so in some cases teachers were the same, in some other cases, teachers were far better at their job.

So, I guess it's relative to where you live, it may or may not be true that things are worse than what their was, one thing is for sure, more money =/= better society, more equality = better society, and that's exactly what changed drastically in last ~18 years, inequality raised = worse condition (that's just my opinion backed by sociological theories).

Comment

Unity: "turning game developers into consumers since 2005"

We got rid of the cancer that was Adobe Flash, and it bloody came back as Unity. Time for the next round of Chemotherapy.
                How long is this fsck(8)er gonna be around for? 5, 10 years? Ugh!

Comment

Originally posted by leipero View Post
                  starshipeleven I have no problem with my age, if anyone needs to know. It's not mine observation, let me tell you where I came with that conclusion from. First by meeting few of my old teachers and talking to them, most of them told me (and not only me) that "They thought we were bad behaving", but now they realise "We were golden in comparison with today kids".
                  Same told me my teachers. Still does not matter, newer generation is always "worse".

Oh, and trust me, it is not memory artifact, the fact is, and this is second sorce for "my opinion", is that when I was a kid, we were much "poorer" (in material ways), yet, stealing was unheard of, people would keep their front doors unlocked all the time (most people do today also tho, when I do my job, my job is to go from home to home, and I enter someones home to do my job, and lot's of people keep unlocked), now it is less common in comparison, but there are cases of people getting things stolen, old people got beaten from time to time, that simply did not happened before, it's all a matter of culture. Put it simply, in my city, in 10 years if 1 murder happened at those times, now, one murder happens every 2-3 years (at about 200k people), maybe even once per year sometimes.
                  The fact that society in general is going to shit in many developed countries is not because kids are becoming worse for some reason. They aren't born intrinsically worse than the older generations. It is the society putting more strain on adults (and to some extent children), with more strain you get more people that snap or resort to such actions. But that's an issue in society, not kids.

There is also more information exchange and better technology so you actually know more of the bad stuff that happens and police catches more types of less-thought-out crime than before, so also this can have an effect in the perception.

Yes, I agree that average parents sucked balls even in the past, teachers, I slightly disagree, and reason why "slightly" is because it depends where you lived and what was socio-economic system there, so in some cases teachers were the same, in some other cases, teachers were far better at their job.
                  socio-economic system has nothing to do with each teacher's skill and aptitude in teaching, only way to change that is to actually test the teachers for that and boot out all those that don't. Which apparently is bad for political reasons so it's not done.

Good teachers aren't common overall, you might get some lucky spots but there is no such easy cause for these events.

So, I guess it's relative to where you live, it may or may not be true that things are worse than what their was, one thing is for sure, more money =/= better society, more equality = better society, and that's exactly what changed drastically in last ~18 years, inequality raised = worse condition (that's just my opinion backed by sociological theories).
                  Yeah, that's one of the pssible causes of the "more strain on adults" I mentioned above.

Comment

leipero I agree about not traumatizing others. I was using sarcasm to criticize about parenting and school, among other things

Comment

starshipeleven
                      Well, it does matter if you can observe effects in society (higher crime rate etc.). Ok, let me be clear here, it was never my intention to suggest that kids are born somehow worse, nor did I ever suggested that, and if you got such impression from what I said, that wasn't what I wanted to say. I agree that's an issue of society, the behaviour of kids (and adults for that matter, even some older people "snaped" as you said) is an effect of some env. situation (higher inequality, more stain on people, less relaxed in other words).

There is more information that is true, however, TV exist long before internet and before we are born, and turst me, news had always seek the "bad news" to report, same as today, the only difference is there are more people to report it now thanks to the internet. In small cities/places (200 to 1 million people) you usually hear all terrible news quite quickly. So I do not agree that's whole effect of percpetion, there is part of it for sure, especially in large cities/places, or if you follow global (state level) news and not only local ones concerning those topics.

On socio-economic system and teachers, it is very complex topic, and you would be surprized by how strong role socio-economic system plays there, but because it is very big topic that reqires from us to cover historical records of systems and other factors, we can avoid it now (especially having on mind we are off topic of this thread). We can agree on one thing tho, good teachers are not common indeed.

Yeah, inequality is maybe most important factor of all of them in more strain on people.

timofonic
                      Me ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- joke, my bad .

Comment

Working...
                      X