Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feral's Former Linux Team Lead Is Now Working For Unity

Phoronix: Feral's Former Linux Team Lead Is Now Working For Unity

Earlier this month Feral's Linux team lead left the company after a triumphant five years at the company leading the Linux game porting team through titles such as HITMAN, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, and Rise of the Tomb Raider. It turns out he's now working for Unity Technologies...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm not a fan of Unity (C#, very low performant engine compared to big mainstream ones...) but it's quite used and even for novice game developers. I wish him best luck, anyway

Comment

Problem of Unity is not C# as scripting language, core is in C++, even old QuakeC was in order of margins slower than rest of native C code.. but whole engine technical design.
      I would say that is designer by artist not coder and i mean it by bad way.. Chief of engine technician(s) seems to be incompetent.

Comment

The main problem with Unity is not technical, but political. Its asset store shouldn't exist.

Comment

Unity is also proprietary.

Comment

Mike Acton is also at Unity now.
            They rewrite the backend to be data-oriented(expected since Mike Acton is the Principal Programmer there).

Comment

All these efforts to make games run native on GNU/Linux makes me feel slightly bad for not having bought any GNU/Linux games or a game for myself for almost two decades. But I'm not 12 so why would I? I guess I could have bought GNU/Linux games instead of Playstations and playstation games for my nephews but forcing them to use GNU/Linux computers instead seems kind of wrong and cruel.

Comment

Originally posted by xiando View Post
                All these efforts to make games run native on GNU/Linux makes me feel slightly bad for not having bought any GNU/Linux games or a game for myself for almost two decades. But I'm not 12 so why would I? I guess I could have bought GNU/Linux games instead of Playstations and playstation games for my nephews but forcing them to use GNU/Linux computers instead seems kind of wrong and cruel.
                Ha ha. I share your ambivalence and final conclusion. I think GNU/Linux is great, but it's not yet great for gaming. For absolute novices, games consoles are a far better option. For more technically minded and passionate gamers, Windows 7 provides a far better experience (better driver support, more games available, easier to install games, better peripheral support etc).

If you do decide to get back into gaming (you don't need to be a kid to do it) you might like to try doing it on GNU/Linux just so you play a part in solving the chicken and egg problem with getting games on GNU/Linux. Also, right now, although GNU/Linux is inferior to Windows 7 for gaming, it's in the best shape it's ever been, so despite its slightly lower performance, more restriction on what you can play and a bit more effort to play games you will actually be able to enjoy a lot of great games on the platform.

I think within 5 years the situation for gaming on GNU/Linux should be much better. AMD Open Source drivers will be running smoothly, Wayland will be providing a fast, secure and graceful environment for handling games. Snap and/or Flatpak will have provided a nice portable packaging, platform and container format for game devs to target to allow their games to run on many popular distros. By then Windows 11 will be out and Microsoft will have finally gone too far by requiring all users to submit DNA samples, iris scans, finger prints, voice patterns and a complete 3D scan of their genitals. In doing this Microsoft will have pushed PC gamers away to Mac OS X, GNU/Linux and Windows XP. As long as we have a spiffy interface and ease of use, we can beat Mac OS X. It may not be possible for us to beat out future competitor, Windows XP... but we should try!

Comment

Originally posted by xiando View Post
                  I guess I could have bought GNU/Linux games instead of Playstations and playstation games for my nephews but forcing them to use GNU/Linux computers instead seems kind of wrong and cruel.
                  FYI: it would have been wrong and cruel to force them to play with something they don't like anyway, it's not like Linux makes that better or worse.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    FYI: it would have been wrong and cruel to force them to play with something they don't like anyway, it's not like Linux makes that better or worse.
                    What's wrong with forcing kids to play with something they don't like? That's the reason schools and parenting exist!

Comment

Working...
                    X