Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feral's GameMode May Soon Have Soft Real-Time Capabilities

Phoronix: Feral's GameMode May Soon Have Soft Real-Time Capabilities

Feral Interactive's Linux system tuning daemon, GameMode since being introduced earlier this year has primarily offered the ability to easily change the CPU scaling governor when gaming but not much more. Though a new feature is now in the works for GameMode...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's kind of cool, sure. I had a feeling the community would come up with a few cool ideas to get that extra little bit of performance when gaming, although I suspect most of this stuff will really only shine when you have stuff going on in the background -- nonetheless it sounds neat. It might be more relevant for VR stuff where latency is a big issue, but I have no real idea.

Comment

Originally posted by salsadoom View Post
      That's kind of cool, sure. I had a feeling the community would come up with a few cool ideas to get that extra little bit of performance when gaming, although I suspect most of this stuff will really only shine when you have stuff going on in the background -- nonetheless it sounds neat. It might be more relevant for VR stuff where latency is a big issue, but I have no real idea.
      These days, you prettymuch always have something going on in the background, e.g. Steam.

Comment

Would this help decrease sound latency in a significant manner?

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
          These days, you prettymuch always have something going on in the background, e.g. Steam.
          ... Streaming software (to stream your gameplay to somewhere else, music players, mail applications, OS services doing stuff (depending on your distro), and so on.

Comment

A way to renice things properly is always welcome. I used to attempt it, but what you need to renice to which degrees to avoid something like "the game starves /usr/bin/X" isn't trivial knowledge and I just couldn't be bothered to figure it out when I was in the mood for gaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
              Would this help decrease sound latency in a significant manner?
              No, sound latency is a buffering issue. To get lower sound latency you need to use smaller buffers. If you're using pulseaudio, there's a setting for this in pulseaudio.

The patch (I'm the author of that patch) can result in reduced input latency, tho. And it can result in more consistent fps (less fluctuating) and thus makes a smoother game experience. But it still needs testing on a broad base of systems. There's a small chance that some system architectures may be negatively impacted by SCHED_ISO - resulting in an effect called priority inversion. In my tests, tho, I didn't experience such a problem.

Comment

Working...
              X