Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine D3D Code Now Defaults To OpenGL 4.4 Contexts

Phoronix: Wine D3D Code Now Defaults To OpenGL 4.4 Contexts

Wine's Direct3D to OpenGL translation layer will now default to using OpenGL 4.4 contexts rather than legacy OpenGL contexts...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does that mean that I can't use Wine D3D anymore with an older card, on which Mesa only supports OpenGL 3.3? Or can is there some environment variable or something?

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatiamus View Post
      Does that mean that I can't use Wine D3D anymore with an older card, on which Mesa only supports OpenGL 3.3? Or can is there some environment variable or something?
      It's pretty obvious Wine will switch to an older context if a newer one isn't available right on start-up. Implementing this is pretty much trivial.

On topic: Nice to see them move on and let's hope there's a performance and/or compatibility benefit to this as it would be pretty pointless if there wasn't one.

Comment

You can use the env variable MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE.

Example usage:

$ export MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.5COMPAT

or

$ MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.5COMPAT wine myapp.exe

I would do it on a per-app basis and not put it in your ~/.profile or system-wide. Games generally worked fine and glxinfo showed the right information, but using Chrome with GPU rasterization became a no go, tons of errors in logs. YMMV.

Comment

perpetually high Agree, that's the best way, last time i checked some games played via wine would result in total mess when any 4.x GL extension is enabled on r600, some games would refuse to start, some would present "pink/red/purple shading/textures in squares etc. Further, I am not sure how beneficial is to use 4.x on older GPU's or at all to be honest.

Comment

Wine want to stay compatible with other platform so they probably switch to crappier OpenGL version if 4.4 is not available (for example, Mac OS is still stuck at 4.1)

Comment

I hope, they'll fixing the S3TC thing with newer Mesa versions (merged S3TC support) soon, too.

0031:fixme:d3d:wined3d_dxtn_init Wine cannot find the txc_dxtn library, DXTn software support unavailable.

Comment

Is there a script that uses glxinfo's output to compare the machine's GL extensions to a list of extensions required for specific GL Versions?

Comment

Originally posted by nuetzel View Post
                  I hope, they'll fixing the S3TC thing with newer Mesa versions (merged S3TC support) soon, too.

0031:fixme:d3d:wined3d_dxtn_init Wine cannot find the txc_dxtn library, DXTn software support unavailable.
                  just to help if you don't know, on debian you can install the libtxc-dxtn-s2tc0 package to enable S2TC

Comment

From the code I read, this is what happens automatically.

"Couldn't create an OpenGL %u.%u context, trying fallback to a lower version.\n"

It just defaults to 4.4 if the version isn't explicitly defined.

Comment

Working...
                    X