PlayStation VR HMD Working On Linux With SteamVR/Dota 2 Thanks To OpenHMD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PlayStation VR HMD Working On Linux With SteamVR/Dota 2 Thanks To OpenHMD

Phoronix: PlayStation VR HMD Working On Linux With SteamVR/Dota 2 Thanks To OpenHMD

Thanks to the work done by Christoph Haag on a SteamVR plug-in for OpenHMD, the PlayStation VR (PSVR) head-mounted display is working out for handling Steam VR Linux games like Dota 2...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

No OSVR HDK2?

Comment

I've ordered a Samsung Odyssey foremost for X-Plane. Hope to get it working also on Linux soon probably with OpenXR and Vulkan games.

Comment

What should we expect in VR space once OpenXR will be ready?

Comment

Originally posted by mike44 View Post
          I've ordered a Samsung Odyssey foremost for X-Plane.
          Well it's proprietary hardware. The reverse engineering effort is ongoing.

FYI X-Plane does not support VR on Linux for no particular reason.
          It's funny because according to the latest phoronix benchmark it runs crappy on windows.
          Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Just wait 5 more years and current generation systems will sell for 50€? VR would be neat thing to test atleast. Want to test surgeon simulator but not willing to pay 300€
            Not even 100. Its 50€ i consider affordable and smart for me to try out.

Its good that linux is getting hacks to make things work anyway.

And yes have tested allready on mobile. (which is kind of lame). But really meaning PC-hardware here
            Last edited by Dehir; 22 May 2018, 04:45 PM.

Comment

300€? I made the videos from the article. PSVR costs $360 AUD which is like 230.60€

Comment

Originally posted by haagch View Post
                Well it's proprietary hardware. The reverse engineering effort is ongoing.

FYI X-Plane does not support VR on Linux for no particular reason.
                It's funny because according to the latest phoronix benchmark it runs crappy on windows.
                https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...gpufresh&num=5
                Elephant in the room.
                What about Android/Cardboard Headsets?

Comment

Thank you for interesting article Michael!

Comment

OpenHMD does actually compile for android. I don't really know apps that use it... Allegedly there's a VLC build somewhere...

I actually got a cheap "cardboard" headset for free on the hackaton last weekend so I'm going to experiment a bit with it. I already discovered that of the open source browsers only chromium supports WebVR on cardboard - and it requires https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ogle.vr.vrcore. This seems to be a proprietary app. Which means not only is there no WebVR in VR on Linux, you can't even get WebVR on android on an open source VR stack (except for some WebVR libraries like Aframe that come with a "polyfill" fallback that has terrible performance on my phone).
                    Maybe I'll try updating https://github.com/domination/gvr-services-emulator and adding an openhmd backend, but it's not going to be easy because I have not found full API spec/doc for com.google.vr.vrcore, not even an in depth description of what it does. It provides sensor data from android to VR applications of course but maybe it even does something with rendering?

If you mean connecting a cardboard headset to a VR application running on the PC - I don't know of an open source for that, only proprietary windows-only ones like TrinusVR.

Comment

Working...
                    X