Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ryzen 7 2700 / Ryzen 7 2700X / Core i7 8700K Linux Gaming Performance With RX Vega 64, GTX 1080 Ti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ryzen 7 2700 / Ryzen 7 2700X / Core i7 8700K Linux Gaming Performance With RX Vega 64, GTX 1080 Ti

Phoronix: Ryzen 7 2700 / Ryzen 7 2700X / Core i7 8700K Linux Gaming Performance With RX Vega 64, GTX 1080 Ti

With the Linux benchmarks of the Ryzen 7 2700 last week I included a few Linux gaming benchmarks, but for those evaluating CPU options for your next Intel/AMD Linux gaming system upgrade, here is a much more thorough set of benchmarks from a wide variety of OpenGL and Vulkan powered Linux games. The Ryzen 7 2700, Ryzen 7 2700X, and Core i7 8700K processors were tested for this Ubuntu gaming comparison while testing with both a Radeon RX Vega 64 and GeForce GTX 1080 Ti.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

oh wow, the Ryzen is getting a spanking.

Why is the 8700k beating out the 2700X by so much?

Comment

Frecuency is more used than cores especially at 1080p

Intel is ideal cpu for 1080p

@Michael

Try make delidd for 5.0ghz or 5.2 on AIO

Comment

pinguinpc that doesn't explain why the i7 pulls ahead by over 60% in some of the tests. Ryzen isn't nearly as bad for gaming on Windows as it seems to be on Linux. These results are a complete disaster and I wonder if they are any better than what an old FX-8350 would deliver.

Comment

Very interesting, thanks Michael. Can you please also test at the same frequency to see the IPC improvements?
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
            You should test without cpu freq governor in the kernel that slows down Ryzen. Linux kernel is optimised for intel cpus by intel kernel developers that are not test with other cpus.Use only default Bios settings. 400Mhz faster clock in intel cpu is unfair too, so you should down clock that. Ryzen 2700X has more cores and is cheaper, so its better for a gaming/multimedia/sw development PC.
            not so much unfair, these products are being bencmarked at stock

Comment

Kind of interesting, Ryzen seems to perform worse on Linux vs Windows, but Vega 64 seems to perform better (at least in some cases).

Comment

Originally posted by VikingGe View Post
                pinguinpc that doesn't explain why the i7 pulls ahead by over 60% in some of the tests. Ryzen isn't nearly as bad for gaming on Windows as it seems to be on Linux. These results are a complete disaster and I wonder if they are any better than what an old FX-8350 would deliver.
                Frecuency is most determinated, most games dont use core quantity cpu as ryzen

However amd have 5ghz as goal too with ryzen 7nm

Next year will be interesting in gaming because frecuency is only saves intel on gaming but with ryzen on 5ghz, intel need shows better cpu for 2019 but various questions appear like as:

-them choose more frecuency with 10nm ?

-better ipc ?

Comment

The 8700T/regular/K is a beast of a CPU. Kicks even the previous Extreme Edition, the 6850K. Incredible performance for a great price.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                    You should test without cpu freq governor in the kernel that slows down Ryzen. Linux kernel is optimised for intel cpus by intel kernel developers that are not test with other cpus.Use only default Bios settings. 400Mhz faster clock in intel cpu is unfair too, so you should down clock that. Ryzen 2700X has more cores and is cheaper, so its better for a gaming/multimedia/sw development PC.
                    The Ryzen system was showing similar performance relative to the 8700 as most Windows reviews for Xonotics, OpenArena and Tesseract (On the 1080ti at least). It looks like the biggest issue is with the optimisation of the games being ported from Windows when running on Ryzen.

To be fair you can't really blame the developers for this, they obviously ported the games before Ryzen systems were available. Maybe AMD could offer to lend a hand to tune the engine as they did for some titles on Windows. Rise of the Tomb Raider (2016) for instance performed very poorly on Ryzen at launch, but now after tuning the performance is much improved and at higher resolutions it is now runs faster than on any current Intel chips without overclocking.

Comment

Working...
                    X