One Year Later There's No UT3 Client For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by superppl View Post
    Nope, i wasnt. This chaos mod seems interesting, ill give it a try.

Comment

• Originally posted by superppl View Post
      You're joking right?
      Is it that surprising that people waiting for the Linux version haven't played the game much? I'm just saying...

I used to dual boot Linux and Windows XP. Then one day XP just stopped working. I wanted to do something that day so I did it on Linux... I haven't used Windows at home since. Linux has aways booted for me. Sure X crapped a few times and wouldn't load but I recovered the system without reinstalling the whole OS and various software products. My Linux environment has never really suffered a catastrophic failure, ever.

Still, sometimes I wonder why I put up with the noticeable render speed and quality hit I take running some games in Wine. When I could run them full speed on Windows XP. I almost reach for the Windows disk then pull my hand back. The truth is, although a few of my games would work better, I'm to lazy to run Windows just for them. The constant security hassles, the AV protection required, the re-install every six months, the instabilities and crashes. The constant mundane maintenance needed. Leaving your computer on 24/7 just to avoid the excessive boot time and swap fest.

Instead I deal with a FPS drop for a handful of games. Some worse than others, some not all that terrible.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to start a flame war with Windows or those who dual boot. You won't find me looking down on you for running Windows to play a few games or other software you like.

It just occurred to me that you were duel booting. I almost wanted to find that Windows disk again to try out a few games. It was at that point that I realized how content and happy I was running a Linux OS. So in a weird kind of way your post sparked some kind of warm fuzzy and I generated a wall of text that really isn't relevant to the thread's discussion.

That said, if and when UT3 does come out for Linux, maybe I will buy a copy after all (despite my previous stated hate over the MIA issue). When I heard the news that Prey had come to Linux I sure did scramble for the game's box and installation media. I dare Epic to make me don my winter apparel next February (if there's any truth in the date) and clamber off to the store. I'm happy with Linux damnit!
      Last edited by Jimmy; 17 December 2008, 05:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X