No announcement yet.

One Year Later There's No UT3 Client For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have a small Thanksgiving break so I can finally comment.

I'm almost thinking that with the delay it's been getting, they'll probably shift their efforts into Unreal 3.5. I don't know of anyone that plays UT3 anymore, if they did at all.

Remember, don't be so snide to Epic Fail. They did us a great service by at least attempting to port it, even continuing to work through problems they've had (according to them, it's only been compilation problems, not a problem with middleware). We need more companies to support Linux, Epic is one of the few I don't think we can afford to lose.

We lost our PR portal (WarTourist) anyways. He can't give us any updates.
    If it is released, I'm not sure it's worth it anymore. UT3.5 would be if it's good enough, but even that's just rumor.
    Last edited by me262; 25 November 2008, 03:01 PM.

Comment

I'd buy UT 3 if it dropped to 20€ AND if it had a Linux native client. But I'll buy ET:QW if that one drops first to 20€ (already has a native client, btw anyone playing that on Linux?). So whichever is first, I'm not gonna wait forever for UT 3, I played both demos and I love them both as much (very much) :P

Comment

I play ET:QW, among a million other games, and I can really recommend it to you! It's a lot of fun

Comment

Nope. It has been introduce with 2k4 maybe 2k3 but I think it's since 2k4. What happens is that for custom player characters you can define armor and similar values ( as far as I know ). I never understood why this got tested in the first place. Custom player models is a must have and one of the things making UT great but with limits. Already in UT there could players cheat. For example there is an "Alien" ( AvP style ) player model which has an unfair trick. The double-tap to the side is implemented using a rolling move. The unfair part: the engine has troubles with this and while doing this roll move you are nearly invincible. Such tricks alone are annoying but if you can also alter your model to be more resisting against damage then things get nasty. Granted you can disable custom models on servers which solves the problem but why doing this in the first place then. I think in UT3 this is no more included. At last I could not find any reference to this problem there.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
            Nope. It has been introduce with 2k4 maybe 2k3 but I think it's since 2k4. What happens is that for custom player characters you can define armor and similar values ( as far as I know ). I never understood why this got tested in the first place. Custom player models is a must have and one of the things making UT great but with limits. Already in UT there could players cheat. For example there is an "Alien" ( AvP style ) player model which has an unfair trick. The double-tap to the side is implemented using a rolling move. The unfair part: the engine has troubles with this and while doing this roll move you are nearly invincible. Such tricks alone are annoying but if you can also alter your model to be more resisting against damage then things get nasty. Granted you can disable custom models on servers which solves the problem but why doing this in the first place then. I think in UT3 this is no more included. At last I could not find any reference to this problem there.
            I was gonna ask that next, so there's no custom models in UT3 anymore, right?

Comment

Originally posted by geamandura View Post
              I'd buy UT 3 if it dropped to 20? AND if it had a Linux native client. But I'll buy ET:QW if that one drops first to 20? (already has a native client, btw anyone playing that on Linux?). So whichever is first, I'm not gonna wait forever for UT 3, I played both demos and I love them both as much (very much) :P
              i used to play ET:QW on linux and stopped because of two things : first pulse plug-in doesn't help with the VoIP embedded system.
              second is my geforce isn't having 3D material acceleration i don't know why i'm using mandriva 2009.0 64 i've installed the nvidia's driver no acceleration upgraded to newest desktop-kernel and installed the mandriva's default nv driver and still no acceleration...

Comment

Originally posted by me262 View Post
                Remember, don't be so snide to Epic Fail. They did us a great service by at least attempting to port it, even continuing to work through problems they've had (according to them, it's only been compilation problems, not a problem with middleware). We need more companies to support Linux, Epic is one of the few I don't think we can afford to lose.
                Heh... What've I been telling you gang? (BTB...Callin' them "Epic Fail" isn't exactly being nice, ya know... )

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                  Heh... What've I been telling you gang? (BTB...Callin' them "Epic Fail" isn't exactly being nice, ya know... )
                  Oh, sorry. EPIC FAIL(tm).

There, fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by xav1r View Post
                    I was gonna ask that next, so there's no custom models in UT3 anymore, right?
                    Depends on what you call a custom model. UT3 has two things. First the customization with this "pseudo" outfit like putting one of the 3 possible armors on your player and so forth. That would be ( minor ) customization. Real custom models though are possible too and on ModDB I've seen one but in general they are far and few in between for (1) being not that much of a hit as Epic wished for the game to be and (2) it's damn difficult with all the tech behind the game to make a usable player model ( textures, physics and what not else ). Therefore it's possible but not often done. What goes no more exist to my knowledge in UT3 is that custom models can redefine certain values like defense.

Now what goes about this defense value problem I'm not sure if this is really inside the game or somebody hacked it in somehow but I had some tests back then with a dragon player model ( it's this cyborg model not the others you might find ). The original one had just ridiculous bot settings ( all sliders maxed... talk me about over-powered ). Then there followed a second version of the same model which had been altered especially including glass-armor ( or whatever those green shards had been supposed to be ). And for some reason using this model you took less damage than with the original one. Could though also be just much smaller hit boxes causing more damage to miss the model in spread guns but I remember having read somewhere ( and I think it has been even in the README of this model if I'm not mistaken ) that the shield value has been altered to be stronger and that you should not use this model on conventional servers to not be unfair. Therefore I conclude that there is such a thing in there. Whatever it didn't bother me since I never had a bought UT2k4 ( only the Linux demo version... which you could hack a bit to play more than what the demo has been intended to... but not too much more ).

Comment

It's becoming really troublesome to read some posts, even with the font bumped up.
                      I say if you're going to write a lengthy post, use more paragraphs.

Anyway, I bought ETQW the day the linux client came out, and I love it! But my router goes down every five minutes, and playing online is unbearable. (I should have spent that $50 buying a new router I know...WRT54GL)

Comment

Working...
                      X