No announcement yet.

One Year Later There's No UT3 Client For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nothing to see here, only a 1 year-old mummy. Move along people, move along...

Is not like other titles get ports well after their first anniversary (point in case, Prey), however, how are the news managed is a whole other story. Pretty much all of us didn't knew about the Prey port until Ryan made it public with the Demo (i.e, having some binaries to show us how the game actually runs).

Is not like I despise Epic all of a sudden, but I certainly will take their announcemnts with the Rock of Gibraltar mother of all grains of salt... Not that I didn't take their PR chit-chat with the table condiment before either, though.
    Last edited by Thetargos; 19 November 2008, 10:10 PM.

Comment

It is really funny that there exits screenshots of a running UT3 engine but it is still not available. Certainly most gamers have at least a Win partition on a pc, but it would be really nice to play more games inside Linux. Wine is interesting and you would not even need all ports when it runs with it good enough, but usually native is faster - which can be really critical when you want to play online shooters. And Wine + UT3 is really no good combination... If they would at least add the OpenGL renderer to the Win version it would be a good idea, so Wine would run faster...

Comment

Originally posted by xav1r View Post
        Lets all party!!!!!! ut3 linuxless 1st anniversary!! Anyone wanna send cliffyb a special something delivered directly to his door as a thank you??
        (hic) I'm drunk already. (hic) Drunk of the tears. If I weren't darn cheap I'd send CliffyB a card thanking him for a Linuxless year from the Linux community. lol

(hic)

Comment

You know that times are looking pretty dismal when the producer, Jeff "Wartourist" Morris, abandons ship (or thrown off it).

Comment

Did not think about that, but right that's also no good sign. I really hope that ID software will provide at least a Linux client for their next game engine. ID is really my favorite company as they open sourced their older engines which lead to really cool games. I don't think they lost any money because of that but made lots of friends. UT3 seems to be a really good example how you should NOT do it. 3rd party code usally does prevent open sourcing and could be one reason that there exists still no Linux client.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
              You know that times are looking pretty dismal when the producer, Jeff "Wartourist" Morris, abandons ship (or thrown off it).
              What do you mean by that? Wartourist left Epic?

Just read about this on PlanetUnreal... What the hell is going on inside of Epic?
              Last edited by Thetargos; 19 November 2008, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
                What do you mean by that? Wartourist left Epic?

Just read about this on PlanetUnreal... What the hell is going on inside of Epic?
                Ya he left Epic a little bit back. With or without cake is debatable. Of course Epic PR agents says it was on good terms but saying anything else would likely put Epic into a potential legal situation with privacy rights if anything else was said so it's a hollow statement by them.

Comment

Some questioned that if this was the end of the Unreal franchise, I do not think it is, but damn! They sure are going through an internal crisis or something similar. UT3 didn't do well on many fronts (and saying it was due to piracy is idiotic, when you don't see many players on-line, and the UT2004 servers are much more populated, hell, there are still some UT99 servers around!). I don't know about other titles, sure as hell the GoW franchise seems to be their cash-cow now (and its been pirated on the 360 for some time now, so there is piracy on the consoles as well). I must admit I have not played it on the PC, and only marginally on the PS3, and only SP. From what I've seen of the game, I like it (maybe too distracting visually, GoW is as detailed, but surely not as distracting, plus is SP oriented, so combat can be "scripted" and balanced out between showcase and actual arenas)

Comment

Maybe now we can get Jeff Morris to spill on what's really taking a hold on UT3 on Linux. Well, barring NDAs, that is. lol.

Comment

He for sure would shed is tongue. Opening the mouth could result in some lawyers visiting your very home

Comment

Working...
                      X