One Year Later There's No UT3 Client For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by D0pamine View Post
    He should be aware that i was a potential customer , being nice to potential customers is good business sense. I'll find the specific posts if you require evidence but he knows what he wrote publicly
    Please quote a specific post, all I can see is that you and him don't agree on how to handle the UT3 situation which is no reason to demand an appology. If you start getting all hot under the collar when someone disagrees with you I suggest you stop interacting with people (well at least people who aren't in marketing), you'll be much happier then.
    Also just so you know Svartalf is only a consultant for LGP not a full time employee (at least last I heard).

Comment

• Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
      Svartalf is only a consultant for LGP not a full time employee (at least last I heard).
      I don't think LGP has any full time employees.

Comment

• Originally posted by Forge View Post
        What we NEED to do is FORGET EPIC and go buy stuff from LGP, iD, whoever. I'd also suggest faxing Epic a copy of the receipt and a brief note saying 'could have been GoW or UT3, but no Linux client exists'. That's what I was doing back in the pre-Quake3 days, and the response (if any) was usually 'What's a Linux?', but it seemed to work.

Giving Epic a pass because their feelings might be hurt no longer seems like a viable or sane idea to me. Sorry.
        Actually, that's precisely the RIGHT thing and what I would have you do, guys. And once done, let it go. You need to let them know it's not acceptable. You need to make it clear they screwed up worse than they think they have. But all this bitching, etc. we all seem to be doing here is counterproductive.

Comment

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          I don't think LGP has any full time employees.
          It has a few. I'm just not one of them.

Comment

• never mind i'll buy some crack instead....

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
              Actually, that's precisely the RIGHT thing and what I would have you do, guys. And once done, let it go. You need to let them know it's not acceptable. You need to make it clear they screwed up worse than they think they have. But all this bitching, etc. we all seem to be doing here is counterproductive.
              Hate to sound like a yesman, but he is right. All these posts, all these topics, and it's now over 1 year with no end in sight. This feels like we've not only beaten the dead horse, we've run over it, used it for target practice, and taken it to the car compactor!
              I will be one of the first to rejoice when it's finally released (which signifies the end of this debacle, I doubt I'll be purchasing), but until then, it's time to move on. It seems to be the only topic sparking a conversation

It's impossible to not buy an Epic product. Unreal Engine 3 is way too popular, and multiple times I've seen "Powered by Unreal" in credits of games. Mirror's Edge is one such product. The point of purchasing this game run by Unreal, you're funded a company that purchased the product from Epic. While you're funding the company that made it, the company paid money to Epic to even make the game.

We got screwed. It was unintentional and they haven't been nice about it (the rape of the Linux gaming community!). Get over it. Hopefully things will be better come UT 2011.

BTW, anyone notice Rain Slick Precipice of Darkness EP1 was released for Linux? It's installable on Gentoo (which is how I found it), and runs fairly well (audio pops when I ramp up my video too high though).
              Last edited by me262; 12 December 2008, 02:37 AM. Reason: Hmm... horse roadkill...

Comment

• Episode 2 is also available for Linux

Comment

• Originally posted by me262 View Post
                  BTW, anyone notice Rain Slick Precipice of Darkness EP1 was released for Linux? It's installable on Gentoo (which is how I found it), and runs fairly well (audio pops when I ramp up my video too high though).
                  The release of Ep1 and Ep2 did not go unnoticed.

Comment

It's impossible to not buy an Epic product. Unreal Engine 3 is way too popular, and multiple times I've seen "Powered by Unreal" in credits of games.
                    It's not that hard. I keep my money in my wallet. I haven't bought a single game with Unreal tech from the release of UT3 until now, and won't do so until they do what they say they were going to do. Mirror's Edge will be tough, but it hasn't gotten to that point yet (I don't have a console to play the released versions yet)

Comment

Hate to sound like a yesman, but he is right. All these posts, all these topics, and it's now over 1 year with no end in sight. This feels like we've not only beaten the dead horse, we've run over it, used it for target practice, and taken it to the car
                      compactor!
                      Heh...

I will be one of the first to rejoice when it's finally released (which signifies the end of this debacle, I doubt I'll be purchasing), but until then, it's time to move on. It seems to be the only topic sparking a conversation
                      IF it's finally released...I'll be happy. They'll have lived up to their online promises. I still don't get the acrimony and the vitriol some individuals seem to espouse around it, especially when it's pointed out that the rage and vitriol is ill-placed and will accomplish nothing.

It won't get you your game any quicker.
                      It won't "teach the studio a lesson".
                      It won't "bring the demise of a 'stupid' company".

So, why even posture like this? So you can feel good about having done something that, upon reflection, wasn't such a bright move on your own part?

It's impossible to not buy an Epic product. Unreal Engine 3 is way too popular, and multiple times I've seen "Powered by Unreal" in credits of games. Mirror's Edge is one such product. The point of purchasing this game run by Unreal, you're funded a company that purchased the product from Epic. While you're funding the company that made it, the company paid money to Epic to even make the game.
                      It's not "impossible". Just hard.

We got screwed. It was unintentional and they haven't been nice about it (the rape of the Linux gaming community!). Get over it. Hopefully things will be better come UT 2011.
                      I can only hope people will be wiser coming out of this debacle.

1) A title is only a Linux game really when you can download a native binary or it's got Tux on the box or Linux as one of the supported systems on the box.

2) If you buy a Windows title before 1 is a reality, you're not "buying on a promise", no matter how you talk yourself into it. You're buying a Windows title. You can't return it on the premise of them "not delivering the Windows version" because the law's pretty explicit about this throughout most of the world.

3) Calmly telling them what they did and why you're not buying (and what you bought instead because of it...) will be listened to.

4) Discussions of burning disks, demanding refunds, etc. will not be listened to and you'll just give the impression we're all nuts.

Boy, are you behind the times, there... Ep1 and Ep2 have been out for a while now. I'm waiting for Ep3 and Deathspank now... The audio popping is probably due to you pushing it too hard and the machine not having enough cycles to properly devote to audio.

Comment

Working...
                      X