X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double post

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
      they're going to REMEMBER it when they do anything else.
      And they better learn from that. Don't make promises they can't keep.

they're going to remember all that scorn and derision and not equate it against the failure that is UT3 but our community.

Food for thought.

The failure is 100% on epics heads. Not the community. Had they not made any promises and not delivered a client then it would have been a dead issue, but that wasn't the case. The community had 0% influence over the non-release.

They fscked up on all sorts of levels not the community. They screwed their own rep through no help of the community.

Saying that we are to blame, quite frankly is a losers excuse.

Comment

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        And they better learn from that. Don't make promises they can't keep.
        You say this. Business people often don't make those connections.

We do, but they don't. Think Dilbert's PHB and you'd have it right in many cases. Seriously.

The failure is 100% on epics heads. Not the community. Had they not made any promises and not delivered a client then it would have been a dead issue, but that wasn't the case. The community had 0% influence over the non-release.

They fscked up on all sorts of levels not the community. They screwed their own rep through no help of the community.

Saying that we are to blame, quite frankly is a losers excuse.
        No, I'm not saying we're to blame or that they would see it that way.

What I'm saying is that they're not going to put two and two together- all they're going to remember is the acrimony, not the cause. Since this is the case, some care should be applied to what we end up doing here in this case.

But, you can't seem to see anything other than they gave out promises they couldn't keep. And you and others keep griping about a game that honestly doesn't seem to matter a hill of beans compared to the past versions of the titles they provided for us. That's a shame and a waste of your energy, if you ask me.

Comment

What I'm saying is that they're not going to put two and two together- all they're going to remember is the acrimony, not the cause. Since this is the case, some care should be applied to what we end up doing here in this case.

But, you can't seem to see anything other than they gave out promises they couldn't keep. And you and others keep griping about a game that honestly doesn't seem to matter a hill of beans compared to the past versions of the titles they provided for us. That's a shame and a waste of your energy, if you ask me.
          Agreed, what we say or gripe about here determines their future decisions of porting Unreal 2011 to Linux. Show Epic Fail some respect!

It really is too bad this tragedy befell the client. I'm sure that since it's so close to completion, that they'll just finish it and release it anyway.
          I feel sorry for the poor souls that are working on this. This is either their free time, or Epic Fail's hemorrhaging money to see this happen.
          In either case, PR was not good. Lesson learned: quash bad rumors, have a time/day stamp next to each individual response in the faq and update it regularly, and be somewhat open to the Linux community (we may even have a solution if you ask right and restrict us to a NDA).

Favorite mousepad:
          PHB: "My laptop locked up, can you help me?"
          Dilbert: "Remember you just have to turn it upside down and shake it to reboot."
          PHB: "Oh right! Thanks!"
          Wally: (as he and Dilbert are walking away) "I wonder if he'll ever realize we gave him an etch-a-sketch."
          Last edited by me262; 10 December 2008, 01:58 AM.

Comment

You say this. Business people often don't make those connections.

We do, but they don't. Think Dilbert's PHB and you'd have it right in many cases. Seriously.

No, I'm not saying we're to blame or that they would see it that way.

Companies that think that are narrow minded and die from poor management. Successful companies acknowledge their mistakes, rectify the situation, and learn not to make the same fuck ups again.

Comment

• I do not care what epic release , I WILL NOT BUY ANYTHING WITH AN EPIC LOGO! what they've done is below the belt and right in the nuts
              still no 'sorry' Svartalf oh well ...... LGP must be as rich as epic and as arrogant

Comment

• Originally posted by D0pamine View Post
                I do not care what epic release , I WILL NOT BUY ANYTHING WITH AN EPIC LOGO! what they've done is below the belt and right in the nuts
                still no 'sorry' Svartalf oh well ...... LGP must be as rich as epic and as arrogant
                That fact that you think he should apologize for merely stating his opinion (as I couldn't find any insults in his posts, but feel free to point them out if I missed them) is absurd. Clearly you most likely already realise this as you tried to bribe him into doing it with the offer of purchasing X3.

Comment

• I'm compelled to draw parallels between Svartalf's logic and the current US bailout frenzy. Sure, if we make a big stink (give no bailouts) we may miss out on future Linux titles that may or may not ever actually materialize, but if we knuckle under and accept this sort of treatment (give them a bailout) we might get some short term gains but in the long run I imagine we're going to be back in the same situation again.

So if I'm given the choice between more 'releases' like UT3 or no releases at all, well crap, that's not a choice at all. Hope and despair or boredom.

What we NEED to do is FORGET EPIC and go buy stuff from LGP, iD, whoever. I'd also suggest faxing Epic a copy of the receipt and a brief note saying 'could have been GoW or UT3, but no Linux client exists'. That's what I was doing back in the pre-Quake3 days, and the response (if any) was usually 'What's a Linux?', but it seemed to work.

Giving Epic a pass because their feelings might be hurt no longer seems like a viable or sane idea to me. Sorry.

Comment

• Originally posted by D0pamine View Post
                    WTF is he supposed to be apologizing for? What has LGP done to you, that they should apologize? The only arrogance I've seen here hasn't been Svartalf's. He's been all sorts of helpful and pleasant, even when the folks he's been talking to haven't returned the favor. I may not agree with his approach any longer, but that doesn't make him wrong, and that SURE doesn't entitle you to any apologies.

IF D0PAMINE APOLOGIZES TO ME I GO BUY TWO PORSCHES. ROFLCAKES.

^^ Equally nonsensical.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
                      That fact that you think he should apologize for merely stating his opinion (as I couldn't find any insults in his posts, but feel free to point them out if I missed them) is absurd. Clearly you most likely already realise this as you tried to bribe him into doing it with the offer of purchasing X3.
                      He should be aware that i was a potential customer , being nice to potential customers is good business sense. I'll find the specific posts if you require evidence but he knows what he wrote publicly

Comment

Working...
                      X