Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 0 A.D. Alpha 23 Released As One Of The Leading Open-Source Games

Phoronix: 0 A.D. Alpha 23 Released As One Of The Leading Open-Source Games

One of the best and most long-standing open-source Linux games is 0 A.D. and in time for the weekend they have a new release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Alpha 23!

The past is in flux?

Comment

Originally posted by hoohoo View Post
      Alpha 23!

The past is in flux?
      rewriting history has never fallen out of fashion afaik.

Comment

Will this game ever reach beta?

Seriously though, they should just release a 1.0 release and then make an expansion or 2.0 or something. That way they can get more exposure/fanfare in gaming circles and perhaps make it popular, who knows?

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
          Will this game ever reach beta?

Seriously though, they should just release a 1.0 release and then make an expansion or 2.0 or something. That way they can get more exposure/fanfare in gaming circles and perhaps make it popular, who knows?
          Agreed. Most people don't want to play an alpha because they will assume it will crash in a few minutes or that content will run out a short time into the game.

Comment

Does it handle moving large armies yet or does that still make it crawl to a halt? Because that's the type of bug that must be fixed before going into beta.

Comment

Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post
              Does it handle moving large armies yet or does that still make it crawl to a halt? Because that's the type of bug that must be fixed before going into beta.
              If that is still a limitation, then I guess it does still somewhat count as alpha, perhaps.

Comment

Known problems:

Currently most of the game engine is single threaded and so unable to take advantage of multiple cores. Eventually the more intensive parts of the game such as AI and pathfinding will be multi-threaded. The limiting factor on the game's speed is typically the processor, rather than the graphics card (since the game is designed to work even with older computers).

Comment

There never was a year 0 A. D. The system starts at 1 A. D. The year before would be 1 B. C.

That's why the year 2000 was the last of the second millennium and the twentieth century.

Comment

Come on you guys. As far I am concern game they could name it prealpha-0.0.0.0.1-developers_peak as long as they keep working on it like they do and keep adding new fun stuff.

PS I wish in that new map with barbarian city there was an option that all nations could play together to defend Gaia as it is impossible to win in that game with them even on medium level. It took me 3 hours on one level lower and I am no newb at this game.

Comment

Working...
                    X