Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE vs. GNOME, X.Org vs. Wayland Radeon Linux Gaming Performance With Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael

Why didn't you test a clean X.org session, like IceWM, XFCE or even plain xterm to see if Gnome/KDE bring any overhead by themselves?

Comment

do KDE and Gnome already implement fullscreen redirection under Wayland. i don't remember seeing any news on that. and if that is so, then results are really, really good

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
        Most people Claim that for gamers only Gnome or Unity is relevant but kde+wayland bring's the best result for ganers in The Most cases.

I use KDE +gaming for years and every time i See gnome or Unity it feels Like a joke
        I don't know what to tell ya bro... At the end of the day it's all Linux or gnu/Linux blah blah. kde has several convenient tools with opensuse just open as root with dolphin or open as root Knonsole2. Gnome has some grate tricks too like with multi-monitor select monitor and shit!

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
          Using MATE now because it seems to be easier to get working with NVIDIA card for most things. Will move back to KDE once AMD release some top end cards able to compete with the 1080ti or above, and hopefully some vendors will release some ITX options.
          Also a Mate user if that is the way you feel why don't you just stick with Nvidia? I've had a Radeon 6900 card. And I still remember how they treated/treat catalyst based cards. Now I have a 960 gtx. seriously it's so odd that people have forgotten all about the catalyst Xorg incident https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMD_Catalyst Don't get me wrong the fact that AMD is on pair with with Intel - And they are on pair with their second gen. Intel has single thread advantage and AMD potentiel multi-thread advantage. It's great -

But why would that + AMD's we're opensource soft of, make anyone praise AMD. As the case seems to be these days. I been a fan of ATI since rage pro fury - They were ahead of their time back then on Windows. But ever since I made the switch to Nvidia and remembering why I was forced to switch not so much, and there's no reason for that to change anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by abracat View Post

Also a Mate user if that is the way you feel why don't you just stick with Nvidia? I've had a Radeon 6900 card. And I still remember how they treated/treat catalyst based cards. Now I have a 960 gtx. seriously it's so odd that people have forgotten all about the catalyst Xorg incident https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMD_Catalyst Don't get me wrong the fact that AMD is on pair with with Intel - And they are on pair with their second gen. Intel has single thread advantage and AMD potentiel multi-thread advantage. It's great -

But why would that + AMD's we're opensource soft of, make anyone praise AMD. As the case seems to be these days. I been a fan of ATI since rage pro fury - They were ahead of their time back then on Windows. But ever since I made the switch to Nvidia and remembering why I was forced to switch not so much, and there's no reason for that to change anytime soon.
            Look bro, I still have that ati card in a box in fact i have even better agp cards that can play doom 3 stuff like 9800-9600 pro agp. Anyway good for u bra don't be shy 13 posts since 2008. I have 192 since 2016. This is not a contest, speak your mind This is a friendly community

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
              Using MATE now because it seems to be easier to get working with NVIDIA card for most things. Will move back to KDE once AMD release some top end cards able to compete with the 1080ti or above, and hopefully some vendors will release some ITX options.
              What's the problem with the proprietary Nvidia and Kde drivers? I've never had them! I know a lot of people who use Kde with Nvidia and the problem does not arise.
              The only problem is Kde - Nvidia - Wayland, but with Mate it is not possible!

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post

What's the problem with the proprietary Nvidia and Kde drivers? I've never had them! I know a lot of people who use Kde with Nvidia and the problem does not arise.
                The only problem is Kde - Nvidia - Wayland, but with Mate it is not possible!
                I hear this bullshit all the time.Select full pipline is the best option wih kde and nvidia, the only thing I need to know is where to save the script!

Comment

Originally posted by PackRat View Post

I hear this bullshit all the time.Select full pipline is the best option wih kde and nvidia, the only thing I need to know is where to save the script!
                  I'm guessing it's the screen tearing but "full pipeline" ticked gets the job done. I'm using both xfce and KDE on Arch and bothe suffer from tearing without it ticked. Than there's Ubuntu Mate with Marco and Metacity that usualy deals with tearing but I find nvidia drivers better for that purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                    Michael

Why didn't you test a clean X.org session, like IceWM, XFCE or even plain xterm to see if Gnome/KDE bring any overhead by themselves?
                    I think he is trying to compare xorg vs wayland and right that support it are gnome or kde. Xfce is not close to do it. So that is the point of this bench, but as you I will like another Bench updating which de or WM got higher frames on gaming. That will be interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by alex79 View Post

I'm guessing it's the screen tearing but "full pipeline" ticked gets the job done. I'm using both xfce and KDE on Arch and bothe suffer from tearing without it ticked. Than there's Ubuntu Mate with Marco and Metacity that usualy deals with tearing but I find nvidia drivers better for that purpose.
                      There are several ways to solve the tearing problem in KDE, I have always used the old method. Create a file in etc / profile.d> create a file with the name tearing.sh> write :
                      Codice:
                      export KWIN_TRIPLE_BUFFER=1
                      It usually works well.

Comment

Working...
                      X