Steam Rolling Out New Apps For Android/iOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elvenbone View Post

AFAIK, at least on iOS devices, an app can't tell which WiFi or which kind of WiFi it is connected to, just that it is connected.
    So what do they mean by 5 GHz? Do they require a minimum data rate of say 200 MBit/s which not all 2.4 Ghz devices can reach?
    Or are there latency differences as well between 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz WiFi?
    "In 2009 802.11n was added to 802.11. It operates in both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands at a maximum data transfer rate of 600 Mbit/s. Most newer routers are able to utilise both wireless bands, known as dualband." - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_LAN

Comment

AFAIK, at least on iOS devices, an app can't tell which WiFi or which kind of WiFi it is connected to, just that it is connected.
      So what do they mean by 5 GHz? Do they require a minimum data rate of say 200 MBit/s which not all 2.4 Ghz devices can reach?
      Or are there latency differences as well between 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz WiFi?
      I guess they probably laugh at Apple and assume people get what they paid for. Afaik on Android you can tell, if not directly at least indirectly, you would need the "ACCESS WIFI STATE" permission, and then you can issue requests to get the fequency of the access point you're connected to with EXTRA_WIFI_INFO https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...k-state-and-wi

And no, there is no way to determine the difference between 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz by performance alone. 5Ghz can't provide any substantial amount of bandwith more than 2.4 unless you are sitting on top of the router itself and I don't think they want to cut out a large part of usebase by enforcing a minimum bandwith.
      Last edited by starshipeleven; 10 May 2018, 05:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PackRat View Post
        "In 2009 802.11n was added to 802.11. It operates in both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands at a maximum data transfer rate of 600 Mbit/s. Most newer routers are able to utilise both wireless bands, known as dualband." - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_LAN
        Not his point. He said that the application has no way of knowing what wifi is doing beyond that it is connected or disconnected.

Comment

That's actually pretty cool!
          I don't have a powerful tablet and my phone's screen is too small to be fun for me, but with this I could play on the tablet.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            Not his point. He said that the application has no way of knowing what wifi is doing beyond that it is connected or disconnected.
            Oh my mistake.

Comment

About damn time!

Parsec is the next best thing but that can't stream FROM linux systems.

Comment

Does the RPI with Android has Hardware Decoding?

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
                  Does the RPI with Android has Hardware Decoding?
                  Ok, after some trys with android on the pi, its horrible. The performance is really bad and no hardware decoding.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post

Ok, after some trys with android on the pi, its horrible. The performance is really bad and no hardware decoding.
                    The Raspberry Pi has hardware decoders for MPEG-2 and VC-1. For the supported Linux distributions, the licenses for these decoders have to be bought from raspberrypi.com. Then the Pi can handle Full HD movies even with high bit rates without problems.

I suspect that the android image you use on your Pi does not have these decoders enabled.

Comment

The Raspberry Pi has hardware decoders for MPEG-2 and VC-1. For the supported Linux distributions, the licenses for these decoders have to be bought from raspberrypi.com.
                      The both codecs, MPEG-2 and VC-1, are not required for H.264 decoding ...

Then the Pi can handle Full HD movies even with high bit rates without problems.
                      i doubt that. purchasing not used codecs does not increase the processing power from the hardware block, special if we talk about h.264.

I suspect that the android image you use on your Pi does not have these decoders enabled.
                      Thanks captain obvious. To answer this question i flashed a android image and test it for everyone.

Comment

Working...
                      X