No announcement yet.

Steam's Linux Gaming Marketshare For April Comes In At Just Above 0.5%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Started using Steam because it supports Linux...

Now gaming on Windows due to better support *feels weird*

Comment

Originally posted by tmpdir View Post

Some people make a Windows vm with gpu pass-through and have it launch in big picture mode.You will never have to look at windows again, well until it bsod

Comment

Originally posted by tmpdir View Post

Only using Steam on Linux is the best way to go.
        It's been 12 years I'm full Linux at home. And I certainly don't dual boot, I adapt instead. I used Gog, repositories or .sh install files before that. I'm not playing one single game without Linux support, not even through Wine! If I get a Humble Monthly Bundle, I don't redeem the games that I can't play.

The best way to support the development of games under Linux is not to ask for a 10% reduction on games available on all platforms, it is to play on Linux the games available on Linux. There are so many games available, that even if I would want to play one game Windows-only, I barely have enough time to go through all my games as it is, and can manage to have fantastic fun with what's currently available.

Even during the last LAN party I attended I did manage to get everyone to play multiplatform games only and we had a blast.

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
          That's a really crappy argument. It barely even makes any sense.
          It makes a lot of sense, big ideas also means big breakages. So called living room PC is a max you can do, pure game console out of PC games is very big idea, pure big and different that it even goes against very nature of PC (market which consist of several CPU and GPU vendors selling very various hardware combos, to not talk about sound and input devices variety, etc...) and when something is not PC anymore what is the point and where is the sense there Youn also need to marketize it as something else of course...

So game console won't happen, that is different beast so just forget about it Something which looks like game console, yes that could be that is exactly this living room PC category which many tries to push more or less i would say still unsuccesfuly Again, that is not really game console but something between conventional PC and gaming console, so good luck with that.

Workstation PC
          Nettop PC
          HTPC PC
          All-in-one PC
          Gaming PC
          Laptop PC
          Netbook PC
          Tablet PC
          Smartphone PC
          Ultra-mobile PC
          Pocket PC
          Living room PC

Just don't tell me there isn't separations there BTW; i hate coconut PC
          Last edited by dungeon; 03 May 2018, 06:46 AM.

Comment

dungeon: saying that "game console won't happen" because a console is very different to a PC is not an argument. There's no content there, it's just an empty claim. Yes consoles are very different to PCs in many ways. No, the fact they are different does not mean that Valve will not attempt to produce one. Valve have already been involved in the Console market: they have ported (or had ported) some of their PC titles to various consoles.

You said:
            "and when something is not PC anymore what is the point and where is the sense there".

I say:
            • "money." Valve is a business. If Valve can successfully enter a new market they can potentially increase their overall profit.
            • "risk reduction". There are very real business risks that Valve has. Many of the risks are to do with the power that Microsoft holds over them. If Valve could successfully compete in the console market with their own hardware, they could reduce their overall risk.
            • "spreading fun and joy to more people". Valve make awesome games that PC gamers love. I wouldn't be surprised if many people at Valve decided that they'd like more people to be able to enjoy their work.

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
              dungeon: saying that "game console won't happen" because a console is very different to a PC is not an argument.
              So what is it if not an argument? It is well defined what game console is (since nearly 50 years ago ) and it is well defined market in the first place. We could only talk about some sort of separation so extension of PC market, like that so called living room PC or you could say console-like PC... anyhow, it is still a PC.

No, the fact they are different does not mean that Valve will not attempt to produce one.
              They could but what will they do if produce one, what they will do with it? They would need to start from scratch really, reseting all games available there. As to be able to use existing games of steam, one need PC and PC is not console, it is just gaming PC

If you like playing games on your PC then play games on you PC, but that is still PC just PC only specialized to play games, which is still not a game console.

Take an example - Microsoft XBox is an game console, but Microsoft Windows PC isn't - that is just a PC with general purpose OS which among other things is also capable to play games and then only if you are one who want to make it to be able to do that. Thus, when you are the one who is able to make it do that, you should also be able to fiddle with settings and drivers Or if you don't like what you get with that machine, just change machine tommorow and make it as you like if better is possible Like it or not, but some fiddling is potentionally always part of PC gaming same like on Linux, you need to fiddle more or less or if not you so much then someone else would need to fiddle because as soon as someone have different hardware fiddling might be a more or less different, etc...
              Last edited by dungeon; 03 May 2018, 07:37 PM.

Comment

dungeon: I can only assume you're trolling now. You ask me "what they will do with [a Valve console]?" directly below a list of bullet points of reasons why it might be a good idea for Valve to produces a games console. WTF.

You then say "As to be able to use existing games of steam, one need PC". I didn't say or suggest that the console would use the existing unmodified games as-is. That obviously wouldn't work. Valve would probably require that the games can be operated entirely via their Steam Controller in order to be listed as Steam Console 1 compatible. The games would need minor modifications. I don't know why that isn't obvious to you. Or maybe it is and again: you're trolling.

Regardless of what your motives really are: I'm done.

Comment

There is no trolling here, you just choose to use console name freely for something that isn't game console. Game console is different category and different market really. As i mentioned even Microsoft knows this, so they play with XBox in that game console market, while in PC market that is something else and separete.

Just say living room PC, gaming PC or invent whatever else name but not console and i am fine with that As always, one don't play PC games on an game console

Valve would probably require that the games can be operated entirely via their Steam Controller in order to be listed as Steam Console 1 compatible. The games would need minor modifications. I don't know why that isn't obvious to you. Or maybe it is and again: you're trolling.
                  It is obvious to me that this does not exist and that even with minor modifications these would still be PC games with minor modification for one potentional device. That still isn't an game console, why this isn't obvious to you that this is just altered PC so can't be called game console i dunno

Regardless of what your motives really are: I'm done.
                  My motive here is proper naming of things and proper categorizing, so that people know what is what. You just can't present something that is PC as game console, without people laughing - that would be like if you are selling cars but presenting them as aeroplanes Also, problem with PC is because it allows generic tranformations to be even what it isn't, still people know that this is a PC which could be more generic or more special, bigger or smaller, doing this or that fine enough, worse or better... but all that is still nothing more than PC So, I agree there how PC could be maded up to be something like a game console, but that still isn't a game console.
                  Last edited by dungeon; 04 May 2018, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Wonder if recent changes to Steam's survey logic will impact the Linux/Windows share ? At first glance it seems that it will:

OC3D is where you can find the latest PC Hardware and Gaming News & Reviews. Get updates on GPUs, Motherboards, CPUs, and more.
                    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                      Wonder if recent changes to Steam's survey logic will impact the Linux/Windows share ? At first glance it seems that it will:

https://overclock3d.net/news/gpu_dis...survey_fixes/1
                      Might gain something, but i don't think would be correct until they found a way to ban from statistics all these cyber cafies. And i mean really _all_ not only these chinese ones

Simply because people in masse tend to behave as one, also these CCs tend to have mostly same hardware, same software, same everything... copy/paste times billion
                      Last edited by dungeon; 04 May 2018, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X