Steam's Linux Gaming Marketshare For April Comes In At Just Above 0.5%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam's Linux Gaming Marketshare For April Comes In At Just Above 0.5%

Phoronix: Steam's Linux Gaming Marketshare For April Comes In At Just Above 0.5%

With the start of a new month comes the usual updated usage statistics for Valve's Steam gaming service, which for the past month represents an increase in Linux gamers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I have a question. What is the ratio of the survey pop-up frequency on Windows and LInux desktop?

Also, these guys should really add new network speeds (since almost everyone is in the Unspecified category), and drop FCMOV and SSE2 from the survey.
    Last edited by tildearrow; 01 May 2018, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Meanwhile, other surveys like NetMarketShare are currently reporting the overall Linux desktop marketshare at about 2.2% relative to Windows at 88%, macOS at almost 9%, and a mix of other platforms taking up the rest.
      Statcounter is a bit different... macOS and ChromeOS more everbody else less, Linux 1.66% worldwide

http://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-...ktop/worldwide

Depends per countries really, look at Germany 3.55% Linux

http://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-...esktop/germany

Or Greece even 4.2% Linux (that doubles Europe average), there Linux even beats OSX

http://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-...desktop/greece

and so on. India 3.79% Linux:

This graph shows the market share of desktop operating systems in India based on over 5 billion monthly page views.

hm, so these are so high... how and where Linux crawling then? In China 0.48% Linux

This graph shows the market share of desktop operating systems in China based on over 5 billion monthly page views.

etc... so anything from zero to 5% is possible i guess, depending where survey randomizing As ther e are countries and regions where Linux is used 10 times more or 10 times less

Also i expect wherever Linux is so high Microsoft will soon lower the prices, boost a positive/negative marketing combo and of course to sent his branwashing agents and in general x86 mafia to talk BS a bit
      Last edited by dungeon; 02 May 2018, 08:33 AM.

Comment

I finally got the steam hardware survey yesterday. Bout g'damn time...

Comment

Without games like Fortnite and PUBG on Linux, this trend will continue. Fortnite isn't even on Steam but this just increases the difficulty of people to use Linux as their gaming platform over Windows. I have nieces and nephews and Roblox doesn't work still on Linux, even through Wine. As far as I know, none of these games will ever see a port to Linux cause people have asked and the answer is no.

We need an initiative to push developers to port to Linux, and not just games on Steam.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
            We need an initiative to push developers to port to Linux, and not just games on Steam.
            We need more people to use Linux on their personal computers, period. For work, entertainment etc. We need more push on that.

Once the uptake there increases then the percentage of steam users will gradually increase too. And this part is not something Valve will do, it has to the traditional desktop distros.

Comment

They're only going to get significant numbers if nearly every "new" title is released before or at the same time as the Window's version. The other way is to create a genre choice in Linux, like making it the go to choice for RPG's / MMORPGS. To port old games to Linux, expecting millions of sales or adoptions, isn't to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
                They're only going to get significant numbers if nearly every "new" title is released before or at the same time as the Window's version. The other way is to create a genre choice in Linux, like making it the go to choice for RPG's / MMORPGS. To port old games to Linux, expecting millions of sales or adoptions, isn't to happen.
                I pretty much agree. I honestly think there are a lot of people (gamers in particular) that would switch to linux if the games they played were on the platform. Game developers need to see the numbers to commit and the gamers need to see the games to switch. Which comes first, the chicken or the egg...

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                  I have a question. What is the ratio of the survey pop-up frequency on Windows and LInux desktop?
                  I've never seen it. But seriously, I don't really know why I would or should either. Put some [x] Submit hardware data to Steam survey checkbox in the options and done. I'll probably just X away any pop-up about a survey on Steam if I do get one, it's a waste of valuable time I could use to shitpost here that Steam don't need to get; it should be automated. Implementing something that gathers /proc/cpunifo and lspci would be enough.

Comment

Well atleast gone up, as lobg that's the trend.

Comment

Working...
                    X