• Time
  • Show
Clear All

None. All my favorite games are Windows-only

Comment

Nexuiz, Savage, Armagetron Advanced
      The other games are for Windows only just like for RealNC

Comment

Nexuiz, Alien Arena, Tremulous, Vega Strike, Freedroid, Scourge, and Eschalon Book 1 (I have more on my HDD, but those are my favorites). The only Windows games I bother to dual boot for are Rome and Medieval 2 since they stopped working on WINE .

Comment

To be honest, none as with RealNC. FPS are *fucking*... *boring*... and the FOSS versions thereof are even more *fucking*... *boring*... as their commercial counterparts so why bother? Better start making some real games outside of the FPS mold. FOSS has anyways no chance of competing with the AAA machinery geared for FPS production so why try a futile battle on that front if your fucking strength is creativity!

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
            To be honest, none as with RealNC. FPS are *fucking*... *boring*... and the FOSS versions thereof are even more *fucking*... *boring*... as their commercial counterparts so why bother? Better start making some real games outside of the FPS mold. FOSS has anyways no chance of competing with the AAA machinery geared for FPS production so why try a futile battle on that front if your fucking strength is creativity!
            true words

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post

Open source game developers make game that they would like to play. They don't have to cater to "target audiences" in order for ensure profits. They develop a game that they see as fun, develop a following from said game, and satisfy their fans with more content and fixes.
              They're not trying to compete with AAA titles. They simply want to make a game that they view as entertaining an let it out there for others to enjoy. If they want to make a FPS, then let them. The same with people that want to make a RPG, and so on.

Comment

/me agrees with melcar.
                And besides, nexuiz is fucking awesome
                Even brings some new things to the table I haven't seen in any other fps yet (grapling hook namely. hook + minsta = super fun ).

Comment

There's nothing like Race Driver Grid, Colin McRae Rally 2005, Grand Theft Auto, Fallout 3 for me (to name a few). So the guy who said something about FPS games probably doesn't have a clue about good games

And stop mentioning games that run in Wine. THIS THREAD IS ABOUT NATIVE LINUX GAMES. And of those, all suck for me. What can I say? The good games are for consoles and Windows.

Comment

On a side note, many of today's OSS FPS games are based upon some Quake engine which has been open sourced before, so I wonder what would've happened if Quake had not been an FPS but a racing or strategy game

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
                      Open source game developers make game that they would like to play. They don't have to cater to "target audiences" in order for ensure profits. They develop a game that they see as fun, develop a following from said game, and satisfy their fans with more content and fixes.
                      They're not trying to compete with AAA titles. They simply want to make a game that they view as entertaining an let it out there for others to enjoy. If they want to make a FPS, then let them. The same with people that want to make a RPG, and so on.
                      Truer words never spoken.

Why should I, as a maker of an FPS care what others are doing. I happen to think that RPG's are "fucking boring" but I don't go around preaching it, and I certainly don't belittle those that like RPG's or make them.

Comment

Working...
                      X