Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One game that should be coming out fairly soon for Linux is X3 from what it says on its page. This game looks like it will definitely be worth buying. Has anyone played this game (on Windows) or the older X2? I've only played the X2 demo and it had very good graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuapurcell View Post
      One game that should be coming out fairly soon for Linux is X3 from what it says on its page. This game looks like it will definitely be worth buying. Has anyone played this game (on Windows) or the older X2? I've only played the X2 demo and it had very good graphics.
      I have played X3 on windows and am looking forward to it coming out on Linux. The graphics are superb. I found personally that the game took longer than most for me to get into it. But that was mostly because I started out at normal difficulty instead of the quickstart. The quickstart option gives you much more cash on hand to get started with. However, once you figure out some decent trade runs, purchase (or capture) a few ships, and start building your own stations the game takes on a whole new level.

One thing that I did have to realize is that the storyline can be followed whenever you want. I got caught in thinking that since I had been requested to do something that I needed to do it right then. The truth is that sometimes you need to spend sometime outfitting new equipment or buying a new ship to complete the mission objectives.

Comment

For some short-commitment fun, try Armagetronad, Globulation 2 or anything from Kenta Cho (some ports are available on http://www.emhsoft.com/)

Comment

Yes and No

Eye candy is good but with great game play its awesome. You mentioned having an issue with HL2?? I played the entire single player and also the DM multi and NEVER had an issue. NOT ONE PROBLEM. Maybe you need a newer system or need some update? I dont know but Crysis is just a teeny weeny bit more than just eye candy. I have actually Played the Alpha build at a Computer event and It is awesome!!! That is why I spent quite a bit on getting the parts to build a very current pc. I wish it were in Linux, as this is one of the most anticipated games and would BE A HUUUUUUUGGGGGGEEEE PLUS if it were in Linux... Geez

Comment

Warhammer Online would be a huge plus for Linux. But they said they have no Linux experience there wouldn't be a Linux client in the near future after release.

Comment

SuperTuxKart makes progess
              SuperTux 0.3 is not too old and I love it
              Xmoto is addicting
              Neverball, I like it more and more
              Nexuiz, the best free shooter in my opinion
              ET: QW is worth the wait
              Bf Wesnoth is great, but I never was good at such games

Comment

I don't really play a lot of different games.
                Personally I don't like any of the native linux games that are available. If there would be one I'd buy it immediately.

I usually only play multiplayer games.
                The only game I play a lot (if possible daily) is Natural Selection, a HL1 mod.
                Fear (combat) was quiet fun too.

Hope there will ever be a port of the Source engine to Linux...

Comment

STEAM/Source Engine port would be so awesome. I need to play KZMod, a modification for HL2. And CoD4, Crysis, HL2EP2, Stalker: Clear Sky are coming, too

Comment

Intersting

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                    You know, if all you're enamored with is eye candy, it might be a bit old. The gameplay (which is what all I concern myself with) is great and the graphics actually look damned good. You should concern yourself with the production values and how fun the game is rather than how old it is or how "cool" it looks like. Most of the "cool" titles have gameplay issues or other obnoxious issues (Read: Steam with HL2...). I want fun, not cool- I can get cool by looking at a DVD of Shrek or similar.

As for Crysis... As long as they don't make an X-Box 360 only title and end up targeting Wii or PS3, your chances of a version just went up dramatically (OpenGL 2.X has pretty much everything DX10 offers without the performance hit... I can assure you that NOBODY is having a fun time trying to hit performance targets in DX10 right at the moment- everyone waiting for those "spiffy" DX10 eye candy titles are going to be in for a disappointment. )- and Haze has the same level of eye candy and may have the same level of coolness factor- and it IS an OpenGL/etc. title- and the tech demo that I had the good fortune to see with my own eyes looks SWEET. I don't know if Michael is in talks with UbiSoft right at the momnent, but once I get situated in a week or so, I'm going to be whispering in his ear about that one...
                    Part of the gameplay equation is graphics. If the guy you are shooting looks like lego man I would think it would affect gameplay a little. Anyway I would love to see Crysis in Linux, I am currently playing the beta and it looks promising. Oh and I pay a lot for the hardware I have to have the best gaming experience possible so I dont really want to play old games. Nothing against them, just think games like Crysis and Hellgate London have a lot of potential.

Comment

That would have to be WoW

Comment

Working...
                      X