Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

20-Way NVIDIA GeForce / AMD Radeon GPU Comparison For Rise of The Tomb Raider On Vulkan/Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20-Way NVIDIA GeForce / AMD Radeon GPU Comparison For Rise of The Tomb Raider On Vulkan/Linux

Phoronix: 20-Way NVIDIA GeForce / AMD Radeon GPU Comparison For Rise of The Tomb Raider On Vulkan/Linux

Today Feral Interactive released their much anticipated Linux port of Rise of the Tomb Raider, the game that was released for Windows in January of 2016 and then released for macOS last week. Feral's Mac port was relying upon the Apple Metal API while the Linux port is now their second game (after F1 2017) exclusively relying upon the Vulkan graphics/compute API rather than OpenGL. This morning I posted the initial Radeon results using the RADV driver while here is the NVIDIA GeForce vs. AMD Radeon graphics card comparison on Ubuntu Linux using twenty different graphics cards.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is it translating D3D11 → Vulkan or D3D12 → Vulkan? Rise of The Tomb Raider supports both D3D11 and D3D12.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
      Is it translating D3D11 → Vulkan or D3D12 → Vulkan? Rise of The Tomb Raider supports both D3D11 and D3D12.
      I don't think Feral has publicly confirmed.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

I don't think Feral has publicly confirmed.
        You can probably deduce it from the binary and function names that you can extract from it. I don't have the game, so can't check.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
          Another question is if the DX12 is a complete redesign for DX12 or if they simply did a DX11 -> DX12 conversion when the game was originally made for Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

Another question is if the DX12 is a complete redesign for DX12 or if they simply did a DX11 -> DX12 conversion when the game was originally made for Windows.
            Good question, I have no idea. It would be quite convoluted if the game is using DX11 design retrofitted into DX12, and then Feral's wrapper would translate it into Vulkan In such case it would be better to use D3D11 → Vulkan path straight.

It's still would be interesting to see performance comparison with Wine+dxvk (I don't think vkd3d is ready for it, so only D3D11 comparison makes sense).
            Last edited by shmerl; 19 April 2018, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Typos:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              More AMD details can be found in thos morning's aforelinked article,
              At 1440p with low quality settingsm the
              For the lasr of the 1080p tests

Comment

Amazing performance out of this one, especially for how great the game looks. Can we get some Windows comparisons?

Comment

Originally posted by Vash63 View Post
                  Amazing performance out of this one, especially for how great the game looks. Can we get some Windows comparisons?
                  If enough premium members request it or new premium members.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Michael, I noted you choose to not activate anti-aliasing on this game. Some driver problem with it?

Comment

Working...
                    X