Linux Gaming Performance With AMD Ryzen 5 2600X / Ryzen 7 2700X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sa666666 View Post

If this is indeed the case, how should a Ryzen system be configured to get the best performance? Right now I always use 'Performance', but I'd like it to be optimal, of course.
    You have to overclock the ryzen CPU. Using the ondemand governor you can watch as activity jumps between threads and the clock speeds do not ramp up as a result. So performance is the way to go. Until there can be an improvement to the cpu governor, its really the only option, set the clock speed you want in BIOS/UEFI. I supposed this is the advantage of the p-state driver for intel CPU's

Comment

Originally posted by sa666666 View Post

If this is indeed the case, how should a Ryzen system be configured to get the best performance? Right now I always use 'Performance', but I'd like it to be optimal, of course.
      How about trying the 'schedutil' governor?

If it works out the same as it did for Google with Android on Qualcomm's SnapDragon 821, then it should lead to faster performance + better latency, while at the same time using LESS energy/power!

Like I already said: In the future 'schedutil' will be the only choice on Linux. (Because all the other governors will become deprecated eventually...)

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

How about trying the 'schedutil' governor?

If it works out the same as it did for Google with Android on Qualcomm's SnapDragon 821, then it should lead to faster performance + better latency, while at the same time using LESS energy/power!

Like I already said: In the future 'schedutil' will be the only choice on Linux. (Because all the other governors will become deprecated eventually...)
        I will do some testing with this tonight to see what happens. Thanks for point that out.

Comment

Originally posted by monte84 View Post

You have to overclock the ryzen CPU. Using the ondemand governor you can watch as activity jumps between threads and the clock speeds do not ramp up as a result. So performance is the way to go. Until there can be an improvement to the cpu governor, its really the only option, set the clock speed you want in BIOS/UEFI. I supposed this is the advantage of the p-state driver for intel CPU's
          You too should give the 'schedutil' governor a try and report back if this improves the situation for you.

Especially whether "Turbo-Boost" gets activated or not...

Comment

Any chance we could see something similar but with a GTX-1080? Also would love to see some of the Total War titles included. Might also be neat to see things vs an FX-8350/8370.

Comment

Man, those ports are just terrible, look at this:

So, at 720p with GTX 1080 there is 28% difference in favor of 8700k (both still above 100FPS average), while on 1080p GPU becomes limitation while still being above 100 FPS average for both platforms AMD and Intel.

But even with 7700k GNU/Linux port gets about 23% performance hit (https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...10-linux&num=2), so the difference show in 720p on windows transfers to 1080p on GNU/Linux and ofc. it disappears on 1440p. So game wasn't good to begin with, but porting it makes it so much worse performance wise...

Comment

I think the r5 2600 is definitely gonna be the must buy for mid budget gaming. Its performance should be very close from 2600x with a cheaper price and power consumption.

Comment

Originally posted by leipero View Post
                  Man, those ports are just terrible, look at this:

So, at 720p with GTX 1080 there is 28% difference in favor of 8700k (both still above 100FPS average), while on 1080p GPU becomes limitation while still being above 100 FPS average for both platforms AMD and Intel.

But even with 7700k GNU/Linux port gets about 23% performance hit (https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...10-linux&num=2), so the difference show in 720p on windows transfers to 1080p on GNU/Linux and ofc. it disappears on 1440p. So game wasn't good to begin with, but porting it makes it so much worse performance wise...
                  Rise fo the Tomb Raider using Vulkan on linux is as good on linux as it is on windows.

Comment

Originally posted by monte84 View Post

Rise fo the Tomb Raider using Vulkan on linux is as good on linux as it is on windows.
                    Nope, Linux Vulkan version is slower than windows dx11/dx12

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                      Thanks for posting the $/performance graphs - not enough reviewers do this.
                      This is not including the price difference between the motherboards of each platform though.
                      Where I live AMD motherboards are in general slightly cheaper than Intel motherboards with the equivalent features and that's not included in those graphs, not sure how the prices are in the US though.
                      I bought an ASUS B350 for $80 while a similar ASUS H270 board was $110.

Comment

Working...
                      X