No announcement yet.

Rise of the Tomb Raider Launching Tomorrow For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

humbug If you look at the recommended spec we mention Vega graphics cards require Mesa 18.0 or later. We test on a wide range of AMD cards to make sure the game runs great on as many AMD cards as is physically possible. 😁

Comment

I never finished the game on Windows. Too scripted and backpedaling. Also, lol $60. Guess they never heard of G2A.

Comment

Although there might be legal keys there are also scammers and stuff on such "market places" - just ask yourself why these key shops have changed their business model making third parties responsible for the sold key. I had personal experiences years ago because I thought it was 100% legal. But I realized that it's not - you just don't know when you buy it. But you will notice it when a game is removed from your list.

Honestly, people here feel fine paying the prices to support companies like Feral. I buy every big release for Linux although I know I can't play all these games in my life. But by testing and buying them I can contribute to a big thing that is potentially able to change the world. And I do not want to be the person saving those few bucks who might be responsible in a future where things don't work as well as expected.
        However, currently it seems to be working quite well for Linux which is mostly the merit of AMD who are highly responsible that we have the Vulkan API, the guy who started the DXVK project and Valve who could convince the MoltenVK devs to open source it. And also Feral who are delivering native Games.
        These outstanding people and companies are climbing mountains to enhance our perspective. So to be just, we should honor their partly unselfish efforts and support their positive visions by buying their products 100% legally in return.

Just imagine how you like the world to be - everyone contributing to community and being rewarded in return, or everyone trying to take the most from community with the result that community gets destroyed because that does only work as long as you abuse the unselfishness of others which you force to think selfish as well.
        You might think that you don't have an impact but how do you know that you are not the one inspiring others to do the same? Rationally there must be one making the difference.

Comment

I agree with oooverclocker - if you don't want to pay $60 then wait for a Steam or Feral store sale so at least they make something off of it. Buying it off of G2A will at best make them nothing as it would go to the Windows dev team, and at worst be basically piracy as many keys on G2A 'fell off a truck' somewhere in Russia.

Comment

For those that do buy the game from anywhere other than Feral's own store; it is possible to still show some support by way of 'Steam stats.' If the first 2 hours of game-play are on Linux via native steam (read: not wine-steam) - then the game is considered a Linux purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by jake2029 View Post
              For those that do buy the game from anywhere other than Feral's own store; it is possible to still show some support by way of 'Steam stats.' If the first 2 hours of game-play are on Linux via native steam (read: not wine-steam) - then the game is considered a Linux purchase.
              I believe this is only true if you buy it from Steam. If you are buying a key or physical copy, those come from the publishers of those copies - which means the key was sold to the retailer by Square, not Feral. Maybe edddeduck_feral can confirm more officially.

Comment

Originally posted by edddeduck_feral View Post
                humbug If you look at the recommended spec we mention Vega graphics cards require Mesa 18.0 or later. We test on a wide range of AMD cards to make sure the game runs great on as many AMD cards as is physically possible. 😁
                That's awesome.
                I got worried because of the below source not listing recommended AMD GPU
                With the 'Rise of the Tomb Raider' Linux release date set for April 19, Feral Interactive has finally shared more details on the sort of system needed to

Comment

Originally posted by fettouhi View Post
                  Anyone else notice that the game requires you to run the latest 396 beta driver if you have Nvidia hardware. I am holding back on getting this until that driver goes stable.
                  I just installed it from Ubuntu repos I found in synaptic. (I don't remember if I've installed any ppa earlier this year.)

Originally posted by Vash63 View Post
                  I agree with oooverclocker - if you don't want to pay $60 then wait for a Steam or Feral store sale so at least they make something off of it. Buying it off of G2A will at best make them nothing as it would go to the Windows dev team, and at worst be basically piracy as many keys on G2A 'fell off a truck' somewhere in Russia.
                  or from a chinese truck...

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                    I played it on a R9 390 and GTX 1070, and at some places in the game (e.g. Geothermal Valley at night + rain), the 1070 was almost twice as fast in 1440p.
                    16x anisotropic filterig roughly costs ~40% performance on the 390 while it's 20% on the 1070.
                    When the game was released with DX11 only, it also showed nasty stuttering in geothermal valley with the 390, but this seems to be fixed since Adrenalin drivers (overhead optimization?).
                    There was a driver update from AMD which improved RotTR performance with ~15%.
                    Geothermal Valley is also known to be slow on almost all hardware, people have reported dips to 30fps on 5ghz 7700k and dual 1080s https://steamcommunity.com/app/39122...1491109136961/

Comment

Originally posted by mike44 View Post
                      or from a chinese truck...
                      Or from any truck. No need to call out specific nations or people. That's just prejudice, and possibly discrimination.

But I do agree with the critics of G2A though. Lot's of shady deals there and G2A willingly allows it and makes profit of it which basically makes G2A itself a scam. Stay away from there if you have any morals.

Comment

Working...
                      X