Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Linux Usage Reportedly Hits 0.33% For March

Phoronix: Steam Linux Usage Reportedly Hits 0.33% For March

With the start of a new month comes the latest figures from Valve about the OS marketshare on Steam...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

My last survey was 1.5 years ago. 3 years old single booter.

Comment

Repeating a lie don't make it more true.
      1. Chinese market was added, that totally tumbled everything over. ("relaxed licensing" situation there I guess... )
      2. the survery. Can't help it, but this showed up every 2nd startup on W32, but once a year on Linux. And I started it more often on Linux than W32. Yeah. Whatever.
      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Have been using Steam on Linux since it launched. Never done a single survey...

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
          Repeating a lie don't make it more true.
          1. Chinese market was added, that totally tumbled everything over. ("relaxed licensing" situation there I guess... )
          It was always there. No such thing as "added". It just exploded in market share recently due to certain games being really popular there and a lot of games are now being localized for this huge market. It's obvious that Windows is the most popular OS there (Windows graph mirrors the graph for users with Chinese localization) so Windows got a huge boost in the statistics, but that doesn't mean Linux or Mac users diminished in absolute numbers, only in percentage.

Also, what are you referring to when you say "a lie"? There's no lie here, only conspiracy theories.

Comment

yeap. it's going to be a year of the linux on desktop. as every year for over a decade

Comment

I got the steam survey on win 10 yesterday and refused then booted up Linux and did the survey. There are not enough big titles. Last week I was going to dump Linux altogether and bought some windows only titles. Epic released fortnite for mobile and then pubg was released for mobile... Then microsoft emails me with a new terms of service that is complete bs.
              Xbox users are getting banned from their devices for bad language. Microsoft will be focusing on cloud and probably cloud gaming too. Valve needs to do something and fast I am running out of patience.

Comment

I got the steam survey on 2 linux boxes almost at the same time after not getting it for more than one year.

Comment

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post
                  yeap. it's going to be a year of the linux on desktop. as every year for over a decade
                  FWIW, Steam works perfectly fine as a streaming client and for the games that are available on Linux/SteamOS. There's really nothing wrong with the platform. I can't think of any technical reason not to use it (Well, maybe hardcore gamers game about the loss of 5-15 fps with some heavily overclocked setups). It's just the game companies don't want to invest in it.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
                    I got the steam survey on 2 linux boxes almost at the same time after not getting it for more than one year.
                    Same for me, once on my account and once on my daughter's. Weird.

Comment

Working...
                    X