Unity Engine/Editor Publishes Reference C# Source Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreenByte View Post
    UE4 is not open source, just that almost anyone is able to access it, but you may never fork it etc. .
    Yep, which is why I said the source "has been released". I explicitly avoided using the FSF definition of "open-source". This isn't my first rodeo with Unity apologists

You are also allowed to fork UE4. You simply cannot make that fork public to anyone who has not signed the source access agreement. For example the recent FreeBSD support is in an independent GitHub repo forked from the original but you can only access it once you can access the original.

UE4 allows me to maintain my own version if they ever drop (i.e crappy Blueprints) or when they go bankrupt. When Unity goes bankrupt, they will take the source to the grave with them like Adobe has done with Flash.

And no, you cannot request Unity source code. They will simply not give it to you. In the past I have worked for a pretty large game company where we requested a source code license because we wanted to do the Emscripten port (before Unity managed to move its arse into gear over a year later). Unity simply said the source code is unavailable.

My experience with Unity (both the tool and the company) in the past is probably why I am so unimpressed by them. They pretend to be big and professional but they simply aren't and never will be. I have seen Unity damage companies and projects all the way from version 1.x to 5.x.
    Last edited by kpedersen; 27 March 2018, 05:52 AM.

Comment

Some guys have already broken all these stupid rules: https://github.com/ArenMook/UnityCsR...c9db70a0ffa9a0

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Also you can code at a low-level like C and C++ using the unsafe keyword.
        too bad c# does not have "fast" keyword

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
          On a more interesting note: UE4 (and its editor) has just been ported to FreeBSD
          https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/u...engine-4.65300
          why sourceless port to obscure os is more interesting?

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
            I explicitly avoided using the FSF definition of "open-source".
            fsf has no such definition, they define "free software". but isn't it nice that bsd zealot approves much more restricted kind of "source releasing"

Comment

kpedersen You talk a lot, but you don't seem to know much. Could please come back with true facts and sources?

You say Epic makes millions of dollars, I don't think Epic exposed these figures anywhere. And even if they did, do you know how much Unity is doing in comparison?
              You say Unity is for kids and wannabe game devs, but instead of proving yourself right by just looking at the half-finished games made with unity, did you take a look at some very nice games made with Unity?
              You say C# is for amateur, but have listened to the Unite and GDC talks? Do you know, at least, the technologies that Unity are developing around this language (i.e. IL2CPP and Burst)? It allows to make extremely fast code, probably faster than one made directly in C++.

So please, get down your high horse, because you're just spreading false rumours and I find that despicable.

Comment

Working...
              X