Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steam Controller Linux Kernel Driver Updated To Work Happily With The Steam Client

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ardje View Post

I've never had a controller that worked out of the box. The issue with controllers is, is that games are locked to either mouse/keyboard, or the very limited console controllers.
    And I can assure you it took a long time before mouse and keyboard worked out of the box.
    Anyway, you would find a lot of people that prefer the steam controller above any console controller. It's like the spawn of mouse accuracy and controller analog things.. But the thing is: it has so many possibilities, you need to configure it to your own likings. Not a lot of games accept both mouse-like and analog-stick like input.

Of course, a PS3 controller would work fine on a PS3, as there are no alternate controllers. But if you mix PS3 and XBOX on a PC or android, games already get confused.
    GTA-SA on my android always changes it's button layout because then it thinks it's a PS3 controller layout, and then it thinx it's an XBOX controller layout.
    I have less problems with another bluetooth controller. But in all cases I have to configure this or that. Even my flight stick is a hell to configure. And my steering wheel, no... that really is a lot of work. For *each* game. There really are no working controllers, unless the game has a build in database of controller id's, or that your controller has a perfect emulation of a specific controller (including id).
    Now Valve is coming with a good solution to fix all that, but it would only really work if that would be independent from Valve/Steam and would be an open source external API.
    Have used Linux since 2000 as my only operating system.

The issue I wrote about is the controller not being recognized by a game. It was not about functionality of the controller. If a controller does not get recognized by a system, then it does not matter how advance it is, even mind controlled controller would be of zero use

After the controller is accepted by the system, then come the button configuration problems. Steam has actually done great job in that there is their middle layer giving a chance to try out community made button configurations and make button configurations by yourself. They have even made it very easy to update firmware of their controller. All great work! Steam made the controller for Steam and Steambox, and it has been well done for that. But for "Linux" gaming there are issues about the controller not being recognized at all.

Comment

Originally posted by moilami View Post

Have used Linux since 2000 as my only operating system.

The issue I wrote about is the controller not being recognized by a game. It was not about functionality of the controller. If a controller does not get recognized by a system, then it does not matter how advance it is, even mind controlled controller would be of zero use

After the controller is accepted by the system, then come the button configuration problems. Steam has actually done great job in that there is their middle layer giving a chance to try out community made button configurations and make button configurations by yourself. They have even made it very easy to update firmware of their controller. All great work! Steam made the controller for Steam and Steambox, and it has been well done for that. But for "Linux" gaming there are issues about the controller not being recognized at all.
      The most trouble free controllers I stumble upon are the Xbox 360 Controller and the Logitech F710, with both being apparently the standard of hardcoded gamepad support games. I hate those. If only some developers weren't allergic to SDL...

The Dualshock 4 and the Xbone have trouble with more games. The last are not recognized by a bunch of games I have and the first have less trouble with that, but if you are used to the (XYAB) button naming it will be confusing when some game have direct support for the DS4, and tells you to press square or circle and you have to look down to find it.

To me the only good thing of Microsoft's "Games For Windows" program was the standardization of gamepad support. Sure DX is more complete, but Xinput allowed for the first time in PC history to install a game, plug a random (but compatible) controller and play away without have to worry much about the configuration of the controller.

Sure, some developers aways find a way to get their games with a lousy implementation (even on MS sponsored games...), but the majority got it right. And the good thing is that Linux gaming benefited a lot of this effort, at last in my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

The most trouble free controllers I stumble upon are the Xbox 360 Controller and the Logitech F710, with both being apparently the standard of hardcoded gamepad support games. I hate those. If only some developers weren't allergic to SDL...

The Dualshock 4 and the Xbone have trouble with more games. The last are not recognized by a bunch of games I have and the first have less trouble with that, but if you are used to the (XYAB) button naming it will be confusing when some game have direct support for the DS4, and tells you to press square or circle and you have to look down to find it.

To me the only good thing of Microsoft's "Games For Windows" program was the standardization of gamepad support. Sure DX is more complete, but Xinput allowed for the first time in PC history to install a game, plug a random (but compatible) controller and play away without have to worry much about the configuration of the controller.

Sure, some developers aways find a way to get their games with a lousy implementation (even on MS sponsored games...), but the majority got it right. And the good thing is that Linux gaming benefited a lot of this effort, at last in my experience.
        Yeah, I have Steam Controller and Logitech and I tend to use Logitech because it tends to work just like my mouse. Steam Controller gathers dust. It is all too troublesome to go to Big Picture mode to just play some game, which Steam Controller requires.

Comment

Originally posted by moilami View Post

Yeah, I have Steam Controller and Logitech and I tend to use Logitech because it tends to work just like my mouse. Steam Controller gathers dust. It is all too troublesome to go to Big Picture mode to just play some game, which Steam Controller requires.
          For some time now the config screen for the SC is available outside Big Picture. And of course it works normally outside BP too.

Out of curiosity, witch one of the Logitech gamepads you have?

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

For some time now the config screen for the SC is available outside Big Picture. And of course it works normally outside BP too.

Out of curiosity, witch one of the Logitech gamepads you have?
            Òk, thanks, will have to try it out. I have very old Logitech F310, but it works, so it has been fine. I also have even more old Logitech Dual Action, which is my favorite but does not have analogue shoulder buttons, so I use F310 in games which need those or if there is a mess with button config with Dual Action.

Comment

Working...
            X