Ray-Tracing Is All The Rage At This Year's Game Developers Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Naquatis View Post
    Uhh ahhh DirectX 12 did not get adopted as well as Vulkan -> we need to put in some more realistic realtime stuff! Yesterday I saw Mono got replaced by Visual Studio for Linux. They pushing really hard didn't they?
    Don't you mean to say 'Monodevelop'?

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
      do you know that all original id software devs are working for someone else for long time?
      If you think i was referencing to Carmack , yes. He works for Facebook , i know.

I talked about current ones , not past legends.

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
        It seems like every time the hardware people build something faster, software people come up with additional crazy!

You’ve got a really fast GPU. Real time ray tracing!!!
        True, but it feels like a natural step towards the good-old goal of better graphics!
        I personally am very impressed, even the quake2 with real time tracing is super fun to me, because I love new stuff. I recommend ppl to try the demo in wine (couldnt build it from github) amietia.com/Quake%202%20GPU%20Pathtracer%20+%20Q2Demo.zip

The higher the resolution the lower fps. Still the rays have some interesting effects to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Naquatis View Post
          Before I would touch the kernel I would use other options to use ROCm but I can wait till 4.17 no problem.
          i never suggested you touch the kernel. touch your package manager

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
            Considering how good non-raytraced reflections have become
            what you can say about non-raytraced refractions?

Comment

Originally posted by Leopard View Post
              I talked about current ones , not past legends.
              is id software some magical place where each who comes to work becomes a legend? and why only id software is capable of doing it properly, but not other companies, including ones where old legends work now?

Comment

what you can say about non-raytraced refractions?
                We've had decent non-raytraced implementations of refractions since at least the original released version of Valve's Source engine way back when Half-Life 2 came out.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post

We've had decent non-raytraced implementations of refractions since at least the original released version of Valve's Source engine way back when Half-Life 2 came out.
                  by decent you mean incorrect, since refraction is not affine transformation and turns lines into curves. even worse than shader "reflections" on water waves

Comment

by decent you mean incorrect, since refraction is not affine transformation and turns lines into curves. even worse than shader "reflections" on water waves
                    One of the main goals in computer graphics, particularly in real-time graphics, has historically been that it looks realistic, not that it's actually rendered using a realistic simulation. However even ray-tracing plays pretty fast and loose with the laws of physics.

Comment

Working...
                    X