Unity Game Engine Plans For Rendering & Performance Improvements In 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unity Game Engine Plans For Rendering & Performance Improvements In 2018

Phoronix: Unity Game Engine Plans For Rendering & Performance Improvements In 2018

Unity Tech made public at the Game Developers Conference their game engine plans for the year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What is the point? Unity developers are rarely technical enough to even go outside the default shaders. It is extremely unlikely the will be able to utilize a more flexible rendering pipeline.
    Any developer who is capable and technical enough will simply not be using Unity.

Comment

I think this is unqualified hype. Linux users need to understand how they can get better gaming experience, not rely on some superficial "support" from businesses.

Comment

Improved performance...on C#

There's the problem right there

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
          What is the point? Unity developers are rarely technical enough to even go outside the default shaders. It is extremely unlikely the will be able to utilize a more flexible rendering pipeline.
          Any developer who is capable and technical enough will simply not be using Unity.
          That's plain wrong. While some Unity users don't know what is a shader, a lot of studios are waiting for the more advanced features like the Scriptable Rendering Pipeline (SRP) and the Shader Graph.

Also I think it's wrong to think that if you want to make a good game, you need to write your own engine. I don't think you really realize what that means. It means you'll have to develop a 3D engine, an animation engine, a sound engine, a physics engine and, on top of all of that, actually make your game!
          Last edited by Creak; 20 March 2018, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
            Improved performance...on C#

There's the problem right there
            With their new compiler (Burst), Unity is actually using C# just for the language. It is then transpiled to IL, where Burst enters in action and optimize the shit out of it, and it's then transpiled into C++ using IL2CPP.

So, yes, you can write optimized C# code in Unity.

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post

With their new compiler (Burst), Unity is actually using C# just for the language. It is then transpiled to IL, where Burst enters in action and optimize the shit out of it, and it's then transpiled into C++ using IL2CPP.

So, yes, you can write optimized C# code in Unity.
              I think he means the problem is for Linux ecosystem specifically.

Comment

Originally posted by ari_linux View Post

I think he means the problem is for Linux ecosystem specifically.
                I don't understand.. C# works well on Linux as well.

Comment

Working...
                X