Wine 3.4 Release Continues With Vulkan Upbringing, Some Wine-Staging Patches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VikingGe View Post
    And how exactly is that going to make Linux more attractive as a gaming platform for users who want to keep playing their old Windows games they already purchased?
    people who have morbid attachment to rare windows-only games, can dualboot. or they could just play multitude of linux games like everyone else

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
      people who have morbid attachment to rare windows-only games, can dualboot. or they could just play multitude of linux games like everyone else
      Other than the fact you get old windows games that no longer work under current versions of Windows. And the old versions of windows don't work with modern graphics cards.

So there is place for wine. Problem is wine and any one doing other implements of graphics areas cannot fix the issues without the right resources put in. Like the llvm issues in the core drivers that effects native programs, Wined3d, DXVK and Gallium Nine.

Some of this is finding parties to foot the bill so developers have to time to attempt to fix stuff. The background stuff is not pretty but is very important and you need it done right not a hack up job.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
        Other than the fact you get old windows games that no longer work under current versions of Windows. And the old versions of windows don't work with modern graphics cards.
        i somehow doubt those are vulkan or dx11 games(affected by subj)

Comment

i somehow doubt those are vulkan or dx11 games(affected by subj)
          Yet not everyone is playing those games. You get people playing games from Xp time frame still. You still have people wanting to run old dx7 games. The thing to remember at some point DX11 will be old as well. Vulkan with Microsoft store policy of Dx only applications using direct Vulkan could run into trouble in future.

The future both Vulkan and DX11 could end up legacy like Dx8 and before. So the long term picture is not exactly that great for Windows users.

Comment

why would you run open source software non-natively?
            I wanted to try running Chocolatey under Wine

Comment

Originally posted by Danniello View Post

In Fedora KVM is installed by default. I'm using virt-manager as QEMU/KVM GUI. But not all functions could be done by GUI - for example "nVidia hack" require change VM configuration via text editor.

GPU passthrough is great idea, but it quite complicated. Definitely not for beginners.

The biggest issue is that gaming GPUs (nVidia especially) are protected against GPU passthrough.
              Only Intel GPUs are almost "VM friendly" - they could operate in host (Linux) and guest (Windows VM) in the same time (Intel GVT), but Intel GPUs are so weak, so from gaming perspective it is only technical curiosity.
              Can VirtualBox do that out of the box?
              I'm not into gaming, just for GPU acceleration of some UI's in Windows and Photoshop.

Comment

Originally posted by Royi View Post

Can VirtualBox do that out of the box?
                I'm not into gaming, just for GPU acceleration of some UI's in Windows and Photoshop.
                I did not tested it, but in theory PCI passthrough is possible in VirtualBox:

You could experiment with emulated 3D acceleration in VirtualBox - it should be enough for Windows GUI.
                Another option could be VMware Player/Workstation. Not sure what is the status now, but in the past their DirectX emulation was quite impressive (I played Dishonored 1 on it

Comment

Working...
                X