No announcement yet.

Wine 3.4 Release Continues With Vulkan Upbringing, Some Wine-Staging Patches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The open source "powershell core" should run now. Will be interesting to see if chocolatey works on Wine. Would be nice to integrate chocolatey in winetricks and whatever package manager reactos is using.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf
      That's only part of it, you still want to cache the HLSL->SPIR-V part.
      That won't help reduce the stutter at all. Might reduce loading times but even then it's questionable, since the DXBC->SPIR-V translation (like any IR->IR translation without any optimizations applied) is already very fast.

Comment

How does the performance of Wine compare to virtualization?
        Assuming there is GPU pass through.

Comment

Originally posted by Royi View Post
          How does the performance of Wine compare to virtualization?
          Assuming there is GPU pass through.
          With GPU passthrough you get native performance (provided you give also enough RAM and CPU).

Comment

Originally posted by ssorgatem View Post

With GPU passthrough you get native performance (provided you give also enough RAM and CPU).
            So why should one invest so much in Wine instead of bringing GPU Pass Through to VirtualBox?
            Once it is there (Out of the box, not using some "Hacks"), what's the point in Wine?

Comment

Originally posted by Royi View Post
              So why should one invest so much in Wine instead of bringing GPU Pass Through to VirtualBox?
              You need two GPUs, insane amounts of RAM, and can't use your gaming GPU on Linux.

Comment

To not buy a windows licence?
                Last edited by Flaburgan; 28 May 2018, 11:17 AM.

Comment

And with Virtualbox you won't get as much performance as with KVM.
                  Why use VirtualBox?

Comment

Originally posted by ssorgatem View Post
                    And with Virtualbox you won't get as much performance as with KVM.
                    Why use VirtualBox?
                    I'm new to Linux so I wasn't aware of KVM.
                    How can I install KVM? Does it have a nice UI like VirtualBox?
                    Does it support macOS as well?

I'm looking for the most efficient solution to running Windows 10 (Mainly) on Linux Mint 18.3.
                    If it also support macOS it is even better.

Regarding the price.
                    You can get Windows 10 License for very cheap.

Thank You.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

Yes, there is more stuttering with dxvk than with wined3d, caused by shaders compilation I assume. Some built in caching would surely help.

Except for stuttering problem, framerate is very good. I also noticed that setting CPU governor to performance from on demand can help increase the framerate.
                      If my memory is not deceiving me, Witcher 3 stutters even on windows if you don't cap your fps. Try to cap fps to 40 or 30 and see if that helps.

Comment

Working...
                      X