Wine "PBA" Shows Potential For Improving Direct3D-Over-OpenGL Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
    What version wine. I guess not 3.2. 3.2 in most benches is doing at least 50% of native. Ok not ideal but a hell of improve over 10 percent. There are more performance fixes in the upcoming 3.3.
    Have you ever tried Gallium Nine by yourself?

On most of my games, using Gallium Nine I'm getting 95% of native speed. It is running faster than some native ports.
    This is why after trying it out, I've spent a lot of time helping the project, mostly with narrowing down problems.

Comment

Originally posted by iyxwsoekthsv View Post
      I meant its quality. It's up-to-par. It's an example. That kind of industry standard. The kind of coding standard other engines might do well following.
      Not sure about that. Since legion whole thing seemd pretty unstable and laggy as hell. Game is still pretty demanding for cpu and it doesnt scale so well to over 2+ cores? Wow seems to be more and more Dx bloat these days. By by good old stable Opengl gaming with wine. Seems that they took easy way and keep busy making content instead.

But hell yeah. Patch of this kind would be awesome to cut gpu idletime. Hopefully it will work with AMD too
      Last edited by Dehir; 28 February 2018, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by iive View Post

Have you ever tried Gallium Nine by yourself?

On most of my games, using Gallium Nine I'm getting 95% of native speed. It is running faster than some native ports.
        This is why after trying it out, I've spent a lot of time helping the project, mostly with narrowing down problems.
        Yes and it broke my favourite being rollage with a mod. The game it self is dx6 using dx7 the overlay mod is dx9.

You don't have any hybrid DX games I have quite a few hybrid games. Reality is for the games I like Gallium Nine is worthless to worst breaks my games.

The reality to have the games I want work I have no choice bar wined3d. The other options don't work.
        Last edited by oiaohm; 28 February 2018, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
          Yes and it broke my favourite being rollage with a mod. The game it self is dx6 using dx7 the overlay mod is dx9.
          You don't have any hybrid DX games I have quite a few hybrid games. Reality is for the games I like Gallium Nine is worthless to worst breaks my games.
          The reality to have the games I want work I have no choice bar wined3d. The other options don't work.
          What is "being rollage"? Google suggest that it might be Rollcage. The game seems to run just fine at 1920x1080x32 without any modifications and Nine doesn't interfere with that.

What mods and overlays are you using exactly? I tried to google the mess you have written but Google also have no idea what you might be saying. Please, provide links.

But honestly. You have tried exactly one ancient game, that is not even D3D9, but D3D6 with some impossibly hackish modifications and you have scrapped the entire thing because it didn't run out of the box?

By that logic, if PUBG doesn't work under Linux, then everybody should wipe it out and install Win10. And never bother with Linux and Wine again. Ever!!!</sarcasm>

The reality is that you haven't really tried Gallium Nine.
          I also have good reason to believe you don't really care about "Rollcage" that much.

Comment

What is "being rollage"? Google suggest that it might be Rollcage. The game seems to run just fine at 1920x1080x32 without any modifications and Nine doesn't interfere with that.

What mods and overlays are you using exactly? I tried to google the mess you have written but Google also have no idea what you might be saying. Please, provide links.
            I did not say the game alone does not work. It works perfectly. Overlay mods are simple they are things that add extra to output of applications like. I am playing a game to waste time while I am waiting on a particular task to complete. The Overlay mod add message to screen.

The old d3d6 game rollcage works works perfectly on wined3d until you attempt to use it with a more modern overlay with gallium nine loaded. Yes this combination works perfectly under windows and under wined3d without galluim nine.

Sorry see I mentioned D3D6 game so it had to be some hackish modifications. I have the same problems with a dx9 overlay mod on a Dx10/Dx11 game. Or a Dx11 overlay mod on a galluin nine using game.

The reality is that you haven't really tried Gallium Nine.
            I also have good reason to believe you don't really care about "Rollcage" that much.

The reality these multi version usage at the same time the Gallium nine people have not really dealt with. Really I tested a little boarder. All I get told is don't use multi version stuff from Gallium nine.

Really I like that I must not care about the game that much. The reality is us who play games as time fillers do care about our games we also do care that when we set up a overlay to notify that time is up and we need to do other stuff works and we really don't want to be messing around with settings. Basically we are a market that Galluim nine and other single dx versions ignore.

Comment

Links please.

I have explicitly asked you for links. Googling "Overlay Mod" I can not find anything that fits your description. The first page is all "minecraft" overlay mod, then it gives more diverse but still specific-game mods.

Your setup is not only rare, it is unique and I cannot reproduce it, even when I am repeatedly asking you for it.
              Not only you are not cooperating, You are making everything possible to bad mouth Nine, while making only broad abstract claims and avoiding everything specific.

As to why you don't really care about the game.
              One of the original game developers is maintaining an improved version called "Rollcage Redux" that support D3D9 natively. It even has AppDB entry in WineHQ. Can you guess what the status of that one was?
              "Garbage"
              I did try it myself. An obvious workaround with `winetricks` allowed me to run the game. It also seems to work with both WineD3D and Gallium Nine. I'm now updating the status to "Gold". There are some quirks with Nine, I'll see what could be done about them.
              You are (also) moderator of WineHQ AppDB, aren't you? You even claimed you had copy of the DB locally. And you haven't checked your favorite game!
              You may claim that there is some reason you don't like the "redux", but you can at least help others to play that game.

Comment

Links please.

I have explicitly asked you for links. Googling "Overlay Mod" I can not find anything that fits your description. The first page is all "minecraft" overlay mod, then it gives more diverse but still specific-game mods.
                You don't find them by google. Screen overlay mods are used inside business where you are allowed to play games at X times. They are internal business applications. You are not someone like codeweavers who has all the paperwork in place to NDA.

Sometime google is worthless.

As to why you don't really care about the game.
                One of the original game developers is maintaining an improved version called "Rollcage Redux" that support D3D9 natively. It even has AppDB entry in WineHQ. Can you guess what the status of that one was?
                I play the original engine of Rollcage because it has a quirk. For the beta testers there are course tracks you can turn on that shows you the optimal paths even though the secrets. That is not in Redux. Only a handful of people who did not make the game who know how to turn that feature on. I found out about it when I was working with wine developers to get the original Roll-cage to work.

So there is sometimes a reason why a person will not be using the latest version of a game. Features do disappear.

You are (also) moderator of WineHQ AppDB, aren't you?
                No I am support I am allowed access to take a copy of the Appdb so I can provide support even if the server is down.

There are reasons for the different classifications. I assist people in doing appdb entries I don't do them myself and I don't have approval rights. This is separation of tasks. Part of taking up the support role was that I could no longer submit reports on rollcage due with work having to use it with overlay mods not having clean tests. So I will help those who can do clean tests when I can find them to submit reports.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  you are not the first uninformed commenter here
                  wrong
                  neither vulkan nor higher versions of dx will help already released software
                  DXVK implements dx11 on top of vulkan so does vk9 for dx9, so gallium is not that much of a necessity afterwards

Comment

Working...
                  X