Wine "PBA" Shows Potential For Improving Direct3D-Over-OpenGL Performance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

With Nvidia try getting firmware for different cards to use open source drivers. So there are a lot of Nvidia cards were Nouveau is absolutely no go. This makes Gallium Nine absolute no go for those users. Cross platform Gallium Nine also comes a problem.

Vulkan is interesting but Vulkan at this stage has limited driver support. Long term Vulkan should be good. Long term opengl 4.6 should be somewhere near reasonable. Like we are seeing 50% perference at worse in wine 3.2 and that does not have all the optimisations that are known can be done like the 4.4 stuff is not all done let alone all the 4.5 or any of the 4.6 opengl features that wined3d could use.

It is going to be a question how much difference as all this stuff is implemented will remain between galluim nine and wined3d.

For a lot of games play that are some of the older hybrids that are dx7 and dx9 I have to use wine mainline they work on that attempt gallium-nine they will not run all and few of them don't like the hacks in wine-staging.
    I use Fedora XFCE and TMM Wine-Nine repository with my r9-285 desktop and my 8850m Prime laptop, all perfectly fine. I suppose a single piece of software cannot cover for every person and it is exactly right that way. As for AZDO is here for at lest 5 years and no one said to replace the legacy D3D9 part that connects with OGL2-3 even if it is slow. We just said that we wanted a D3D9 expansion pack for AZDO, only for newer GPUs and also for the potential future case that OSX could reach AZDO.

Comment

With Nvidia try getting firmware for different cards to use open source drivers. So there are a lot of Nvidia cards were Nouveau is absolutely no go. This makes Gallium Nine absolute no go for those users. Cross platform Gallium Nine also comes a problem.
      I don't care about cross platform as the other platforms are Mac and Android. Mac is limited to specific hardware and isn't open source, and Android mostly runs on ARM chips. This is a concern for Codeweavers, and I don't care for their business model.
      Vulkan is interesting but Vulkan at this stage has limited driver support. Long term Vulkan should be good. Long term opengl 4.6 should be somewhere near reasonable. Like we are seeing 50% perference at worse in wine 3.2 and that does not have all the optimisations that are known can be done like the 4.4 stuff is not all done let alone all the 4.5 or any of the 4.6 opengl features that wined3d could use.
      Vulkan works, but my concern is how to expose it for older AMD GCN cards. As of right now I have to put commands in Grub and make a 20-AMDGPU.conf file to get it to work. Why do I need to do this for Vulkan?

If you use emulators like Dolphin and RPCS3, Vulkan makes a huge difference. Even though Wine is not an emulator, the way it handles graphics through wined3d is very much like how emulators work. Which is why something like DX11 over Vulkan is huge.
      It is going to be a question how much difference as all this stuff is implemented will remain between galluim nine and wined3d.
      You keep questioning it while I continue to use Gallium Nine. Wine developers don't have a good track record with wined3d. How long did it take them to get CSMT enabled by default? While CrossOver has had it since 2014.

https://www.codeweavers.com/support/...ce_disablecmst

How about that.
      For a lot of games play that are some of the older hybrids that are dx7 and dx9 I have to use wine mainline they work on that attempt gallium-nine they will not run all and few of them don't like the hacks in wine-staging.
      For me, half my games wouldn't work on regular wine. Wine-staging is a requirement.

Comment

Go read that list again. Note number 6 Samsung Galaxy Tab Active that is android and not x86. So claim that they are also all X86 is bogus.
        That is only ARM device in the list and very few buy that.

Mind you I have submit a single patch to wine-devel. Yet you wanted to make a patched version of wine.
        Very few people use your wine, so you need to continue your religious wine sermon.

Comment

But this is problem caused by nvidia..., they could have had good Mesa driver if they didn't behave the way they did (and still do) considering documentation and involvement in free/open source drivers. Potentially, because of market share, they could have better Mesa drivers than Intel and AMD. Older nvidia GPU's have quite solid open driver.

Comment

Possibly silly question: Is it possible (theoretically) to implement a vulkan subset in order to run vk9 on top of it for hardware dx9 capable without performance loss?

Comment

Originally posted by sebastianlacuesta View Post
              Possibly silly question: Is it possible (theoretically) to implement a vulkan subset in order to run vk9 on top of it for hardware dx9 capable without performance loss?
              If they are needing to implement Vulkan, then vk9 over it, it would be easier to implement gallium nine.

It is possible, but would depend on what features vk9 uses. Nothing stops you from making a non conforming drives, so long as you don't call it Vulkan.

Also, vk9 can use newer features to improve performance, which may limit the hardware it can be implemented on.

Comment

Originally posted by iyxwsoekthsv View Post
                I meant its quality. It's up-to-par. It's an example. That kind of industry standard. The kind of coding standard other engines might do well following.
                no, industry standard is unity or ue. and they both are linux native

Comment

Its items like GL_ARB_buffer_storage not being implemented thinking how long Nvidia closed source drivers have had it shows that wine developers have not exactly been focusing on Nvidia.
                  because they are focusing on nvidia for osx

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                    Technically android is a flop
                    but marketshare-wise it dominates

Comment

Originally posted by bemerk View Post
                      I would say we don't have any gallium dx.
                      you are not the first uninformed commenter here
                      Nine is not actively developed and not usable in normal wine.
                      wrong
                      Vulkan will make this unnecessary and so will the move to higher versions of DirectX.
                      neither vulkan nor higher versions of dx will help already released software

Comment

Working...
                      X