Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine-Staging Has Been Revived, Working Towards New Release

Phoronix: Wine-Staging Has Been Revived, Working Towards New Release

Wine-Staging has been a flavor of Wine popular with Linux gamers for often carrying bleeding-edge patches and other experimental work prior to being mainlined. But over two months ago, Wine-Staging went silent without any further updates. A few days ago the original maintainers announced they parted ways with the work due to lack of time and would not be issuing any new releases. Now there are new developers taking over...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope this semi-debacle will encourage more work towards mainlining, I heard that staging was often deemed "good enough", and mainline not worth the effort to get into (which is not sustainable logn-term).

Comment

I wonder if the new guys are willing to include Gallium-Nine support as well as DXVK?

Comment

This is GREAT news!

Tested LS 2015 and LS 2017 with Wine-3.2 (even the nine versions) on openSUSE Tumbleweed for my son last night after the sad reading here, but only Wine-staging 2.21 works (for LS 2017) without a glitch (with 3.2: game come up in the background but no further gfk). PES 2015 and TS 2017 need staging (nine), too.

Can't wait to test Wine-staging-3.2+.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
          I wonder if the new guys are willing to include Gallium-Nine support as well as DXVK?
          Wouldn't the vulkan patches currently posted for review on wine-devel already allow dxvk?

Comment

Originally posted by bemerk View Post

Wouldn't the vulkan patches currently posted for review on wine-devel already allow dxvk?
            I doubt that. Vulkan should be enough but wine-staging provides something more than that.
            there is a rather big topic on that: https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/issues/38
            It is about wine-vulkan but the grounds seems to be the same - or maybe not? In that case i'd be happy to use dxvk with wine-devel

Here's another one to read, maybe more optimistic: https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/issues/94
            Last edited by SmutnySmok; 22 February 2018, 04:06 AM.

Comment

Ah, this was expected, great news none-the-less, the sweet power of Free Software. Code is not forced to be abandoned and wasted.

Comment

As long as it remains optional to use Gallium-Nine. I've not run across a single title where Gallium Enabled Wine actually beats Wine CSMT. Not a single one. And combining them? Current version of WineDRI3 ( https://launchpad.net/~commendsarnex...buntu/winedri3 ) obviously uses Wine Devel and since devel enabled CSMT by default, it means that WineDRI3 uses both Gallium as well as CSMT. Results? Dreadful. I'd rather stick to base Devel at this point, most stable performance.

WTB Staging sans Gallium, please.

Comment

I wonder if the new guys are willing to include Gallium-Nine support
                  It's unlikely and not necessary anymore.
                  It'd be nice to have some sort of plugins framework though, that would allow 3rd party libraries such as nine to show up in winecfg.

Originally posted by iyxwsoekthsv View Post
                  As long as it remains optional to use Gallium-Nine. I've not run across a single title where Gallium Enabled Wine actually beats Wine CSMT. Not a single one.
                  I have found many games with better FPS and lower CPU usage using Nine.
                  Both wined3d(+CSMT) and Nine have issues so I have picked the one with less issues at times of course.

Comment

Originally posted by iyxwsoekthsv View Post
                    As long as it remains optional to use Gallium-Nine. I've not run across a single title where Gallium Enabled Wine actually beats Wine CSMT. Not a single one. And combining them? Current version of WineDRI3 ( https://launchpad.net/~commendsarnex...buntu/winedri3 ) obviously uses Wine Devel and since devel enabled CSMT by default, it means that WineDRI3 uses both Gallium as well as CSMT. Results? Dreadful. I'd rather stick to base Devel at this point, most stable performance.

WTB Staging sans Gallium, please.
                    You don't know what you're saying CSMT uses much more CPU. Many times more. It makes CPU bottlenecks that -only- exist with CSMT. Do you realize how much context switching CSMT causes? Gallium nine definitely outperforms it on almost every possible CPU performance metric. Gallium nine behaves much closer to windows D3D9, and it works in far more games too. Better CPU performance almost universally and better compatibility almost universally.

EDIT: The problem with gallium nine was the original authors refused to budge on their ideology so they couldn't get the wine bits upstreamed. And upstream has real valid concerns about it. The fact that it couldn't get upstreamed and the authors have ideological issues prevented real flaws from getting fixed. But regardless of all that it is still the better option, even today.
                    Last edited by duby229; 22 February 2018, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X